Translate word problem to equation

In summary, the relationship between temperature and number of chirps per minute is linear, with 113 chirps per minute at 70 degrees F and 173 chirps per minute at 80 degrees F. When calculating the slope, it could be done either way, but in this problem it suggests temperature is the dependent variable since chirps/minute is a function of temperature. The problem also asks to write a function that models temperature as a function of chirps per minute.
brycenrg

Homework Statement

We know relationship between temp and number of chirps per minute is linear. 113 chirps per minute at a 70degrees F. 173 chirps per minute at 80 degrees F.

Homework Equations

In this problem why do we put degrees on top of chirps in finding the slope.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that it would be 80-70/(173-113) because my original answer didnt seem right. I am just curious as to how to know logically through the problem that I would put the chirps on bottom not on top to begin with

Physics news on Phys.org
brycenrg said:

Homework Statement

We know relationship between temp and number of chirps per minute is linear. 113 chirps per minute at a 70degrees F. 173 chirps per minute at 80 degrees F.

Homework Equations

In this problem why do we put degrees on top of chirps in finding the slope.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that it would be 80-70/(173-113) because my original answer didnt seem right. I am just curious as to how to know logically through the problem that I would put the chirps on bottom not on top to begin with

Technically you could do it either way. In this problem, the way it is phrased, it says when the temp is 70 you get 113 cpm and when the temp is 80 you get 173 cpm. So it is suggesting that chirps/minute is a function of temperature. That would suggest temperature is the dependent variable.

The real answer to your question may be in the statement of the problem where it asks you to calculate something. You never stated the question that you were asked to solve in part 1 of the homework template. If I knew that I might be able to give a better answer.

Likes 1 person
What's a chirp?

Oops, LKC beat me to it...

Thank you lkc. You are right, in the question it says right a function that models temp t as a function of chirps per minute N. Thank you.

berkeman said:
What's a chirp?

Oops, LKC beat me to it...

No birds or crickets where you live?

berkeman said:
What's a chirp?

You, of all people, should know. It's a cw signal when the frequency isn't stable. :cool:

FAQ: Translate word problem to equation

What is the process for translating a word problem to an equation?

The first step is to identify the unknown value or variable in the problem. Then, carefully read the problem to determine what operations need to be performed. Next, use the relationships between the known values to write an equation. Finally, solve the equation to find the value of the unknown.

How do I know which operations to use when translating a word problem to an equation?

The operations used in the equation will depend on the relationships between the known values in the problem. For example, if the problem involves finding the total of two quantities, addition would be used. If the problem involves finding the difference between two quantities, subtraction would be used.

Can I use any variable to represent the unknown in the equation?

It is best to use a variable that is relevant to the problem. For example, if the problem involves finding the number of apples in a basket, "a" could be used to represent the number of apples. This will make the equation easier to understand and solve.

What do I do if the word problem includes multiple unknowns?

If a word problem has more than one unknown value, you will need to use multiple variables in the equation. It is important to carefully read the problem to determine the relationships between the known and unknown values, and use the appropriate variables to represent each unknown.

Are there any tips for successfully translating word problems to equations?

Some helpful tips include: carefully reading the problem to understand the relationships between the known and unknown values, identifying the unknown value or variable, using relevant variables to represent the unknowns, and checking your solution to ensure it makes sense in the context of the problem.