Translating english to predicate logic

In summary: This makes the formula a bit longer, but it is still the shortest possible.In summary, the problem is to express the statement that there are two students in a class who have chatted with all of the students in the class. The correct formula is \exists x,y \forall z (C(x,z) \vee C(y,z)) \wedge \lnot(x=y).
maxsthekat

Homework Statement

I've been given a problem: "C(x,y) is x and y have chatted over the internet. The domain is students in a class. Express there are two students who combined have chatted with all of the students in the class".2. The attempt at a solution
I think this is the correct answer, but I'm not certain.

[tex]\exists x,y \forall z (C(x,z) \wedge \neg C(y,z)) \vee (C(y,z) \wedge \neg C(x,z)) \vee (C(x,z) \wedge C(y,z))[/tex]

The part I'm uncertain about is the last statement, C(x,z) ^ C(y,z). I think this states there exists an x and y, where x has spoken with z and y has spoken with z, but I could also see this as saying there is an x that has spoken with all z and there is a y that has spoken with all z.

Would anyone be willing to double check my work?

Thanks! :)

-Max

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think in the first disjunct you meant to write [tex](C(x,z) \wedge \neg C(y, z))[/tex] rather than [tex](C(x, z) \wedge \neg C(y, x))[/tex]. Given that small correction, your formula is correct, but it is not the shortest possible. You wrote the large disjunction so that the three alternatives are mutually exclusive, but they need not be. If you allow your disjuncts to overlap, you can write a much shorter formula.

The part I'm uncertain about is the last statement, C(x,z) ^ C(y,z). I think this states there exists an x and y, where x has spoken with z and y has spoken with z, but I could also see this as saying there is an x that has spoken with all z and there is a y that has spoken with all z.

Your first thought is correct. When the quantifier [tex]\forall z[/tex] lies outside the disjunction, it applies to the entire disjunction, not separately to each clause: there exist [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]y[/tex] such that, for each [tex]z[/tex], at least one of the three alternatives holds; but which holds can vary from [tex]z[/tex] to [tex]z[/tex].

Thanks for your help :) You were right, and I corrected the formula above to reflect what was meant.

Thinking about your suggestion of simplifying this based on the overlap, I think this should just be an disjunction of the students x and y have chatted with. As such, can I write this as:

[tex]\exists x,y \forall z (C(x,z) \vee C(y,z))[/tex]

If I'm waaaay off, I'd appreciate any insight you'd care to share :)

Thanks again

-Max

Last edited:
You now have the simple correct answer.

If you want to state that the two students are distinct (that is, you want to rule out the possibility of just one chatted with all the others), you must add [itex]\lnot\left(x=y\right)[/itex].

Related to Translating english to predicate logic

1. What is predicate logic?

Predicate logic is a formal system of symbolic logic that allows us to represent and reason about the relationships between different objects, properties, and relationships in the world. It is often used in mathematics, computer science, and philosophy to express complex ideas in a precise and unambiguous way.

2. Why is it important to translate English into predicate logic?

Translating English into predicate logic allows us to formally analyze and evaluate arguments and statements, as well as to derive new conclusions from existing knowledge. It also helps us to identify and eliminate ambiguity and inconsistencies in language, leading to clearer and more precise communication.

3. What are the basic elements of predicate logic?

The basic elements of predicate logic are variables, quantifiers, predicates, and logical connectives. Variables represent objects or entities, quantifiers specify the quantity of objects being described, predicates denote properties or relationships between objects, and logical connectives are used to combine multiple predicates or statements.

4. How do you translate an English sentence into predicate logic?

To translate an English sentence into predicate logic, you first need to identify the variables, quantifiers, predicates, and connectives present in the sentence. Then, you can use symbolic notation to represent these elements and their relationships, making sure to preserve the original meaning of the sentence.

5. Are there any online tools available for translating English into predicate logic?

Yes, there are several online tools and resources available for translating English into predicate logic. These include logic calculators, proof assistants, and interactive tutorials that can help you practice and improve your skills in translating natural language into formal logic.