Translation of a German book about ODEs

In summary, the conversation discussed the need for a translation of the book "Differentialgleichungen: Lösungsmethoden und Lösungen" by Erich Kamke, which is referenced in Shepley L. Ross' book on ODE. It was mentioned that there are other books available on ordinary differential equation solutions, and the website bookfinder.com was recommended as a resource. The conversation also mentioned the possibility of finding a pdf version of the book through a university website. Finally, the NIST Digital Library of Mathematical functions was suggested as a possible resource for finding the desired information.
Buffu
I need a translation of "Differentialgleichungen : Losungsmethoden und Losugen", I guess it is written in German. This book was referenced in Shepley L. Ross' book on ODE.

If the English translation is not unavailable, I am fine with a book that contains a "list" of special differential equations and their solutions.

I am just interested in knowing special types of ordinary differential equations. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe the reference is to:
"Differentialgleichungen: Lösungsmethoden und Lösungen", by Erich Kamke.
Notice that it was printed in two volumes.

It was reprinted in 2013, Softcover, ISBN 9783663120582 / 3663120589

Search for any book by title, author and language. https://www.bookfinder.com
Apart from his “Theory of Sets”, I see no books by Erich Kamke that are not in German.

Baluncore said:
Apart from his “Theory of Sets”, I see no books by Erich Kamke that are not in German.
Some of his books are translated to Russian, but I guess it doesn't help. :biggrin:

Demystifier said:
Some of his books are translated to Russian, but I guess it doesn't help. :biggrin:

Yes, I don't know Russian also.

Baluncore said:
Maybe the reference is to:
"Differentialgleichungen: Lösungsmethoden und Lösungen", by Erich Kamke.
Notice that it was printed in two volumes.

It was reprinted in 2013, Softcover, ISBN 9783663120582 / 3663120589

Search for any book by title, author and language. https://www.bookfinder.com

Any other similar book or online resource ? I don't think I am the only one who needs such a book.

If you type ' ordinary differential equation solutions ' into the search title field of bookfinder.com you will get many results.
Use google to find those that are available on the web as pdf files on .edu sites.

Likes Buffu
Baluncore said:
If you type ' ordinary differential equation solutions ' into the search title field of bookfinder.com you will get many results.
Use google to find those that are available on the web as pdf files on .edu sites.

I am overwhelmed by the amount of results. Can you help me sort some good ones out ?

Buffu said:
I am overwhelmed by the amount of results. Can you help me sort some good ones out ?
I doubt it. I do not know what you really want or why you want it. If you find a useful book in a library or on the web, you can buy a copy, through Amazon if possible to benefit PF. You can also “invent” the title of the book you want and search to find that. Then use a library or google books to see if it has what you want.

Baluncore said:
I doubt it. I do not know what you really want or why you want it. If you find a useful book in a library or on the web, you can buy a copy, through Amazon if possible to benefit PF. You can also “invent” the title of the book you want and search to find that. Then use a library or google books to see if it has what you want.

Ok no problem. Thanks for help anyways.

The Kamke book is basically a long list of solution methods without too much insight, followed by a database of differential equations and their solutions. A similar book is Murphy 'ordinary differential equations and their solutions'. These databases are used for validation of symbolic ode solvers (maple, mathematica, maxima, ...).

If you want the actual list of differential equations from both Kamke and Murphy, you can find it in the repository of the maxima CAS:

https://github.com/andrejv/maxima/tree/master/share/contrib/diffequations/tests

Most of these odes are not that special and the list was compiled in a time when classification of odes was immature. A number of first order odes in the list for instance are linear, separable or exact, so not very interesting. There are more logical classification methods based on the properties of the Galois group or the symmetries.

Likes weak_phys, Buffu and vanhees71
http://dlmf.nist.gov/
This is the NIST Digital Library of Mathematical functions - the successor to Abramowitz and Stegun. Consider this as a possible source for what you need.

Likes Buffu

Related to Translation of a German book about ODEs

1. What is the process of translating a German book about ODEs?

The process of translating a German book about ODEs involves several steps. First, the translator must have a strong understanding of both German and English languages. They then read the book thoroughly to gain a complete understanding of the subject matter. The translator then begins the process of translating the text, making sure to maintain the accuracy and style of the original text. The translated text is then proofread and edited before being finalized.

2. How long does it take to translate a German book about ODEs?

The time it takes to translate a German book about ODEs can vary depending on various factors such as the length of the book, the complexity of the subject matter, and the translator's experience. On average, it can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months to complete the translation process.

3. Is it necessary to have a background in mathematics to translate a book about ODEs?

While having a background in mathematics can be helpful, it is not necessarily a requirement to translate a book about ODEs. A translator with a strong understanding of both German and English languages and a willingness to research and learn about the subject matter can successfully translate a book about ODEs.

4. How is the translation of a German book about ODEs different from other types of translations?

The translation of a German book about ODEs can be more challenging than other types of translations as it involves complex mathematical concepts and equations. The translator must have a strong understanding of both languages as well as knowledge of mathematical terminology to accurately translate the text. Additionally, the translator must ensure that the translated text maintains the same level of clarity and accuracy as the original text.

5. Can a machine translation tool be used to translate a German book about ODEs?

While machine translation tools can be useful for translating simple texts, they are not recommended for translating a German book about ODEs. These tools may not accurately capture the complex mathematical concepts and equations present in the book. It is best to use a professional translator with a background in mathematics for such a translation to ensure accuracy and quality.