Transmission cable problem involving power loss

• Thread starter hendrix7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power loss
hendrix7
Homework Statement
A transmission cable transmits electricity at 250A and 400kV and a resistance of 3 ohms. What is the power loss?
Relevant Equations
P = I^2R
V = IR
Using P = I2R
2502 x 3 = 187.5kW
Now, I'm pretty sure that this is correct but my question is how does V = IR fit in with this? So, I = 250 and R = 3 so V must be 750, but what does this 750 volts represent? A voltage drop between two points on the transmission cable? If so, where are the two points on the transmission cable that correspond to this potential difference? Am I missing something here? This is pretty new to me so I would much appreciate it if someone could put me straight here or clarify for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
The input voltage of 400kV is reduced slightly at the far end by the resistive losses. The 750V drop is for the 2-way wire voltage drop from source to destination. You should get the same power loss if you do either calculation, using ##I^2R## loss or ##\frac{V^2}{R}## loss.

Likes hendrix7
berkeman said:
The input voltage of 400kV is reduced slightly at the far end by the resistive losses. The 750V drop is for the 2-way wire voltage drop from source to destination. You should get the same power loss if you do either calculation, using ##I^2R## loss or ##\frac{V^2}{R}## loss.
Thank you, berkeman, that seems clear to me now. I really appreciate that.

Likes berkeman

Related to Transmission cable problem involving power loss

What causes power loss in transmission cables?

Power loss in transmission cables is primarily caused by resistance in the conductors, which converts some of the electrical energy into heat. Other factors contributing to power loss include inductive and capacitive reactance, poor quality of materials, and environmental conditions such as temperature and humidity.

How can power loss in transmission cables be minimized?

Power loss can be minimized by using conductors with lower resistance, such as those made from high-quality materials like copper or aluminum. Increasing the diameter of the cables, using higher voltage levels for transmission, and employing advanced technologies like superconductors can also help reduce power loss. Additionally, regular maintenance and monitoring of the transmission system can prevent losses due to wear and tear or environmental factors.

What is the formula to calculate power loss in transmission cables?

The power loss (P_loss) in transmission cables can be calculated using the formula: P_loss = I^2 * R, where I is the current flowing through the cable and R is the resistance of the cable. For alternating current (AC) systems, the formula may also include factors for reactance and power factor.

How does the length of the transmission cable affect power loss?

The length of the transmission cable directly affects power loss because the resistance of the cable increases with length. The longer the cable, the higher the resistance, and consequently, the greater the power loss. This is why long-distance power transmission often uses higher voltages to reduce the current and, therefore, the power loss.

What are the environmental impacts of power loss in transmission cables?

Power loss in transmission cables leads to inefficiencies in the power grid, requiring more energy to be generated to meet demand. This increased energy generation often results in higher emissions of greenhouse gases and other pollutants if the energy comes from fossil fuels. Additionally, the heat generated from power loss can affect local ecosystems and contribute to thermal pollution.