Transmission line Secondary Coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of secondary coefficients for a transmission line with given primary coefficients at a frequency of 1 GHz. The formula for the secondary coefficients is given as α+jβ=sqrt[(R+jꞷL)x(G+jꞷC)], with the values of α and β calculated to be approximately 0.051409 and 0.272549, respectively.
David J
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A transmission line has the primary coefficients as given below.

##R=2\Omega/m##
##L=8 nH/m##
##G=0.5 mS/m##
##C=0.23 pF/m##

Determine the lines secondary coefficients ##Z0##. ##\alpha## and ##\beta## at a frequency of ##1 GHz##

Homework Equations

[/B]
In my notes I am given

##\alpha=\frac{R}{2}\sqrt\frac{C}{L} +\frac{G}{2}\sqrt\frac{L}{C}## and ##\beta=\omega\sqrt{LC}##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
##\alpha=\frac{2}{2}\sqrt\frac{0.23 X 10^-12}{8 X 10^-9} +\frac{0.5 X 10^-3}{2}\sqrt\frac{8 X 10^-9}{0.23 X10^-12}##

##\alpha=1 X \sqrt{2.875 X 10^-5} + (2.4 X 10^-4)\sqrt{34,782.6}##

##\alpha=\sqrt{2.875 X 10^-5} + (2.4 X 10^-4)\sqrt{34,782.6}##

##\alpha=(5.362 X 10^-3) +0.044760 = 0.050121902## nepers per meter

I think this is correct. I am unsure how to input the single multiplication sign `X` in LaTeX form. I think my " to the power of`s" are correct for ##R, L, G## and ##C## but I am unsure about the final result in nepers per meter

For the second part I got the following:-

##\beta=\omega\sqrt{LC}##

##(2\pi)(1 X 10^9) \sqrt{(8 X 10^-9)(0.23 X 10^-21)}##

So I have ##6,283,185,307\sqrt{1.84 X 10^-21}##

So ##6,283,185,307(4.289522 X 10^-11)=0.269518623## radians

So ##\beta= 0.269518623## radians

This second answer I am not so sure as I have some very large numbers but I have followed the examples in my notes.

Any comments on the two attempts above would be appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The values look okay. ##\beta## should be radians per meter. You'll want to round to the appropriate number of significant figures to match your "givens".

For multiplication in LaTeX you can use \times or \cdot : ##a \cdot b = a \times b##.

Thanks a lot for your help with this

gneill said:
The values look okay. ##\beta## should be radians per meter. You'll want to round to the appropriate number of significant figures to match your "givens".

For multiplication in LaTeX you can use \times or \cdot : ##a \cdot b = a \times b##.
l Following onto this question i got all the same workings however we needed to find Zo aswell. Using
0f7a2214412eaf12fa94bf33a612ab95c0c24c2b
with the values above I got Zo=179.427+j26.5060 Ω or in polar Zo=181.375 /_+8.403° Ω (sorry don't currently have software to do the polar expression so used /_ to signify the angle).Does this sound correct for this answer?

Connorm1 said:
l Following onto this question i got all the same workings however we needed to find Zo aswell. Using
0f7a2214412eaf12fa94bf33a612ab95c0c24c2b
with the values above I got Zo=179.427+j26.5060 Ω or in polar Zo=181.375 /_+8.403° Ω (sorry don't currently have software to do the polar expression so used /_ to signify the angle).Does this sound correct for this answer?

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=√((2+(16π)i)/(0.0005+i(0.00046π))) Here's my workings using wolframalpha

Looks good.

gneill said:
Looks good.

Thanks @gneill! Only bit i was struggling on! But I hoped it'll be as simple as use the equation and plug in values. Helpful as always :)

In my opinion, the correct formula it is as follows:
α+jβ=sqrt[(R+jꞷL)x(G+jꞷC)]
The formula α=1/2xRxSQRT(C/L)+1/2xGxSQRT(L/C) it is good in the case in which
we can neglect R with respect to ꞷ*L and G with respect to ꞷ*C.
The difference is not more than 1-2%, indeed.
a=0.051409 and b=0.272549

Related to Transmission line Secondary Coefficients

1. What are transmission line secondary coefficients?

Transmission line secondary coefficients are complex numbers that represent the characteristics of a transmission line, such as its impedance, admittance, and propagation constant. They are used to analyze the behavior of signals traveling through the line and can be calculated from the physical parameters of the line, such as its length, cross-sectional area, and material properties.

2. How are transmission line secondary coefficients calculated?

The secondary coefficients of a transmission line can be calculated using various methods, such as the telegrapher's equations, the Smith chart, or computer simulation. These methods take into account the physical parameters of the line, such as its length, cross-sectional area, and material properties, to determine the coefficients.

3. What is the significance of transmission line secondary coefficients?

The secondary coefficients of a transmission line are essential for understanding how signals behave as they travel through the line. They help determine the impedance matching, signal attenuation, and distortion that may occur on the line. Additionally, these coefficients are crucial for designing and optimizing the performance of transmission lines in various applications, such as telecommunications, power distribution, and RF/microwave systems.

4. How do transmission line secondary coefficients affect signal transmission?

The secondary coefficients of a transmission line can significantly impact signal transmission. For instance, if the line is not properly matched, the reflected signals can cause interference and reduce the overall signal quality. Additionally, the line's attenuation and distortion, as determined by the secondary coefficients, can affect the signal's amplitude, phase, and frequency response, leading to signal degradation. Therefore, it is crucial to consider these coefficients when designing and analyzing transmission lines for optimal signal transmission.

5. Can transmission line secondary coefficients change over time?

Transmission line secondary coefficients generally remain constant unless there are any changes in the physical parameters of the line or external factors, such as temperature and humidity. However, in some cases, the coefficients may change over time due to factors like corrosion, aging, or external interference. Therefore, it is essential to regularly monitor and maintain the transmission line to ensure its optimal performance.