Transmission over a step semiconductor heterojuction

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the electron transmission function T(E) over a potential step using T-matrices in a semiconductor heterojunction. Different effective electron masses on either side of the step are required, leading to two boundary conditions at the step. The second boundary condition is not the standard one due to accounting for the different masses in order to conserve current. It is noted that T(E) approaches unity for increasing energy only when the masses are equal, and for unequal masses, it approaches a value less than unity. The question is raised if there is always some reflection at a heterojunction with different effective electron masses, even at very large energies.
John Loven
I have calculated the electron transmission function T(E) over a potential step using T-matrices. I model a semiconductor heterojunction, which requires different effective electron masses on either side of the step.

We have 2 boundary conditions at the step at x = x0:

Y1(x0) = Y2(x0)
1/m1*d/dxY1(x0) = 1/m2*d/dxY2(x0)

Note that the second boundary condition is not the standard one, since we have to account for the different masses, in order to have current conservation.

When plotting T(E) it only approaches unity for increasing E, if the masses are equal. If they are not equal T(E) approaches a value less than unity.I'm just wondering if this result is correct? Is there always some reflection at a heterojunction with different effective electron masses, even for very large energies?

Thanks,

John

I never worked with models where the electron mass changes as function of position, but the result does not surprise me.

FAQ: Transmission over a step semiconductor heterojuction

1. What is a step semiconductor heterojunction?

A step semiconductor heterojunction is a type of interface between two different types of semiconductors, where one type has a higher bandgap than the other. This creates a step-like structure at the interface, which can have unique properties for electronic and optical applications.

2. How does transmission change at a step semiconductor heterojunction?

The transmission at a step semiconductor heterojunction is affected by the difference in bandgap between the two materials. Electrons with energy levels above the bandgap of the lower material can easily pass through the junction, while those with energy levels below the bandgap will be reflected or absorbed.

3. What factors influence transmission over a step semiconductor heterojunction?

The main factors that influence transmission over a step semiconductor heterojunction are the bandgap difference between the two materials, the material properties (such as electron affinity and effective mass), and the angle of incidence of the incoming electron or photon.

4. What are the potential applications of step semiconductor heterojunctions?

Step semiconductor heterojunctions have a wide range of potential applications, including in electronic devices such as transistors and solar cells, as well as in optoelectronic devices like LEDs and lasers. They can also be used in research for studying electron and photon behavior at interfaces.

5. What are the challenges in studying transmission over a step semiconductor heterojunction?

One of the main challenges in studying transmission over a step semiconductor heterojunction is accurately characterizing the properties of the two materials and the interface between them. Other challenges include controlling the angle of incidence and ensuring a clean and uniform interface for reliable results.

Back