Transmisson and Reflection (Quantum)

In summary, the problem asks for the barrier thickness at which the reflection of 12.0eV electrons is at a maximum. Using the equations for transmission probability (T), reflection probability (R), and the value for q (calculated using the known values), the solution is found by setting T to a minimum rather than 0. This is because conceptually, T cannot be 0 since the particle has more energy than the barrier height.
HelenaNikolai

Homework Statement

Suppose a 12.0eV electrons approach a potential barrier of height 4.2eV.

For what barrier thickness is the reflection at a maximum?

Known:
v_0=6.7*10^(-19)J
E=1.9*10^(-18)J
m=9.11*10^(-31)kg
hbar=1.055*10^(-34)J*s
(I have converted from eV to J to make the units work)

Homework Equations

T=(1+(v_0)^2/(4E(E-V0))sin2(qL))^(-1)
q=sqrt(2m(E-v_0))/hbar
T+R=1
(Where T is the transmission probability and R is the Reflection)

The Attempt at a Solution

q=sqrt(2m(E-v_0))/hbar=sqrt(2(9.11*10^(-34))((1.9*10^(-18)-6.7*10^(-19)))/(1.055*10^(-34)

so then q=1.42*10^10
I plugged in q into my equation for T and then the v_0 and the E for the electron. I set all of it equal to zero, but I think that's my downfall. Conceptually T cannot be zero because L would have to reach infinity. I am not sure what is means by R being a maximum (aka L is a minimum) without setting T=0.

Physics news on Phys.org
T will not vanish even if L goes to infinity. This should make sense since the particle has more energy than the barrier height.

Try looking for when T is minimized, not 0.

Related to Transmisson and Reflection (Quantum)

1. How does quantum transmission and reflection differ from classical transmission and reflection?

Quantum transmission and reflection involve the behavior and properties of particles at a subatomic level, whereas classical transmission and reflection describe the behavior and properties of waves in a macroscopic scale. In quantum mechanics, particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior, which affects their transmission and reflection properties.

2. What is the role of quantum superposition in transmission and reflection?

Quantum superposition is the principle that a particle can exist in multiple states simultaneously until it is observed or measured. In transmission and reflection, this means that a particle can have multiple paths or states when traveling through a medium, resulting in interference patterns and altered transmission or reflection properties.

3. Can quantum tunneling occur during transmission or reflection?

Yes, quantum tunneling is a phenomenon where a particle can pass through a potential barrier even if it does not have enough energy to overcome it. This can occur during transmission or reflection when particles encounter a barrier with a width that is smaller than their wavelength.

4. How do quantum entanglement and transmission/reflection relate to each other?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other(s), even if they are separated by large distances. In the context of transmission and reflection, quantum entanglement can affect the behavior and properties of particles as they travel through a medium, altering their transmission or reflection properties.

5. What are some real-world applications of quantum transmission and reflection?

Quantum transmission and reflection have many potential applications in fields such as quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensors. They can also be used in technologies such as quantum dots, which are used in advanced electronic devices, and quantum well lasers, which have applications in telecommunications and medical imaging.