Transport phenomena or diffusion book for physical sciences

In summary, "Transport phenomena" by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot is a recommended book for exploring transport phenomena and diffusion from a physical sciences point of view, with a focus on the basic science rather than industrial equipment design. It also includes complete solutions for checking answers.
chill_factor
I am a graduate student in physics.

Can someone recommend a book that explores transport phenomena or diffusion from a physical sciences (instead of engineering) point of view? I would like that because I'm not dealing with industrial equipment and don't want to spend chapters wading through heat exchanger design, but rather need to learn more about the basic science of diffusion and mass transfer in materials and in solution so I can get started on optimizing lab scale processes where I only can rely more or less on natural phenomena.

It would be great if the book also had complete solutions so I could check my answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Transport phenomena, by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot!

Related to Transport phenomena or diffusion book for physical sciences

1. What is transport phenomena or diffusion?

Transport phenomena or diffusion refers to the movement of molecules or particles from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. This process occurs due to random molecular motion and does not require any external force.

2. How is transport phenomena or diffusion relevant to physical sciences?

Transport phenomena or diffusion is a fundamental concept in physical sciences, as it plays a crucial role in explaining various natural phenomena such as heat transfer, mass transfer, and chemical reactions. It is also used to understand the behavior of fluids, gases, and solids in different environments.

3. What are the factors that affect transport phenomena or diffusion?

The rate of transport phenomena or diffusion is influenced by several factors, including the concentration gradient, temperature, surface area, and the nature of the medium. Higher concentration gradient, temperature, and surface area result in faster diffusion, while a denser medium slows down the process.

4. Can transport phenomena or diffusion be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, transport phenomena or diffusion can be controlled or manipulated in various ways, such as changing the concentration gradient, temperature, or surface area of the medium. This is often used in industries to enhance the efficiency of mass and heat transfer processes.

5. What are some real-world applications of transport phenomena or diffusion?

Transport phenomena or diffusion has numerous real-world applications, including drug delivery systems, water purification processes, food preservation techniques, and the design of heat exchangers and chemical reactors. It is also essential in understanding the mechanisms of biological processes, such as gas exchange in the lungs and nutrient absorption in cells.