Transpose Formula: Solve x=7-2y | Get Help Now

• MHB
  • Thread starter fordy2707
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of transposing formulae and solving for x in the equation y=7-2x. The book's result of x=7-y/2 is correct, and the conversation also provides another approach to solving the equation. Through a series of steps, it is shown that x can be expressed as (7-y)/2. The conversation also confirms that this solution is correct through a final check using the functions f(x) and g(y).
fordy2707
Hi,thanks in advance for your help
Ive been given the task to transpose

To make x the subject from y=7-2x

Which in my mind x= 7+y / 2

But my book is saying X=7-y / 2

Is the book correct if so where / why am I going wrong ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
We are given:

\(\displaystyle y=7-2x\)

and told to solve for $x$. First, let's add $2x-y$ to both sides, to get:

\(\displaystyle 2x=7-y\)

Now, divide through by $2$:

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{7-y}{2}\)

This agrees with the book's result. :)

Thanks for that , I've been watching YouTube videos for the best part of today trying to get my head round transposing formulae .think I'm just about there now

Here is another approach:

Suppose $y = 7 - 2x$

Let's examine the steps we take to get to $y$, starting with $x$.

1. First we multiply $x$ by $2$. Now we have $2x$.

2. Next we multiply by $-1$, so we have $-2x$.

3. Finally, we add $7$, so we have $7 - 2x$, and we have arrived at $y$.

To "undo" this, we do the "undoing" operation of each of our 3 steps, IN REVERSE ORDER.

First, we subtract $7$. this "undoes" the adding of $7$, so we have $y - 7$.

Next, we multiply by $-1$ (multiplying by $-1$ twice leaves us where we were originally, so multiplying by $-1$ "undoes itself"). This gives us $(-1)(y - 7) = -y - (-7) = -y + 7 = 7 - y$.

Finally, we multiply by $\frac{1}{2}$ which is what "undoes" multiplication by $2$:

$\frac{1}{2}(7 - y) = \dfrac{7-y}{2}$.

Since we "undid", everything we "did" to get from $x$ to $y$, we must now be back at $x$:

$x = \dfrac{7 - y}{2}$.

If we have $f(x) = 7 - 2x$, and $g(y) = \dfrac{7 - y}{2}$, as a final check, we verify that:

$g(f(x)) = x$, and $f(g(y)) = y$.

$g(f(x)) = \dfrac{7 - f(x)}{2} = \dfrac{7 - (7 - 2x)}{2} = \dfrac{7 - 7 + 2x}{2} = \dfrac{2x}{2} = x$

$f(g(y)) = 7 - 2(g(y)) = 7 - 2\left(\dfrac{7 - y}{2}\right) = 7 - (7 - y) = 7 - 7 + y = y$.

FAQ: Transpose Formula: Solve x=7-2y | Get Help Now

What is the transpose formula?

The transpose formula is a mathematical equation that allows you to rearrange a given formula in order to solve for a specific variable. This is useful in situations where you are given an equation with multiple variables and need to solve for a specific one.

How do I use the transpose formula?

To use the transpose formula, you must first identify the variable you want to solve for. Then, you can rearrange the equation by moving all other terms to the opposite side of the equation, while keeping the variable you want to solve for on one side. This will give you the value of the variable you are looking for.

What is the purpose of solving x=7-2y using the transpose formula?

The purpose of solving x=7-2y using the transpose formula is to find the value of the variable x. This is useful in situations where you are given an equation with multiple variables and need to find the value of a specific one. In this case, the transpose formula allows you to rearrange the equation so that you can easily solve for x.

Can the transpose formula be used for any type of equation?

Yes, the transpose formula can be used for any type of equation, as long as the equation contains at least one variable. It is a general method for solving equations with multiple variables, regardless of the specific form of the equation.

Are there any limitations to using the transpose formula?

While the transpose formula is a useful tool for solving equations with multiple variables, it does have some limitations. It can only be used for linear equations, meaning equations that form a straight line when graphed. Additionally, it may not work for equations with multiple variables that are raised to different powers.