Transpose of Grassmanian variables

This means that the equation \bar{\psi^1}M\psi^2 = -\Big(\bar{\psi^1}M\psi^2\Big)^T holds.In summary, the equation \bar{\psi^1}M\psi^2 = -\Big(\bar{\psi^1}M\psi^2\Big)^T holds true, as shown through the derivation provided. The change in order of terms in the third equality, due to the operation of transpose, does not affect the sign of the equation.
ismaili
Say, [tex]\psi^1,\ \psi^2[/tex] are Dirac spinors, and [tex]M[/tex] is a matrix composed of Dirac matrices. Is the following equation hold?
[tex]\bar{\psi^1}M\psi^2 = -\Big(\bar{\psi^1}M\psi^2\Big)^T[/tex]
I'm not quite sure, here is my derivation:
[tex]
\bar{\psi^1}M\psi^2 = \bar{\psi^1}_{i}M_{ij}\psi^2_j = - \psi^2_jM^T_{ji}\psi^1_i = -\Big(\psi^1_iM_{ij}\psi^2_j\Big)^T = -\Big(\psi^1M\psi^2\Big)^T
[/tex]
where the last step, i.e. the third equality is what I'm worried about. I originally think that the change of order of the third equality is totally due to the operation of transpose (superscript "T"), so there is no need to change sign in the third equality.
Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are right. The transpose operation does not change the sign of the equation, so the third equality is correct.

Yes, your derivation is correct. The change of order in the third equality is due to the operation of transpose, so there is no need to change the sign. The transpose of Grassmanian variables follows the same rules as regular matrix transpose, so the equation holds.

Related to Transpose of Grassmanian variables

What is the transpose of Grassmanian variables?

The transpose of Grassmanian variables is the process of interchanging rows and columns in a matrix representation of Grassmanian variables. It involves flipping the matrix along its main diagonal.

Why is the transpose of Grassmanian variables important?

The transpose of Grassmanian variables is important because it allows for efficient computation of linear algebra operations, such as matrix multiplication and inversion. It also has applications in fields such as physics and engineering.

How is the transpose of Grassmanian variables calculated?

The transpose of Grassmanian variables is calculated by reflecting the matrix along its main diagonal. This involves swapping the elements of the matrix so that the row index becomes the column index and vice versa.

What is the relationship between the transpose of Grassmanian variables and the conjugate transpose?

The transpose of Grassmanian variables is equivalent to the conjugate transpose when dealing with complex numbers, but not necessarily for real numbers. The conjugate transpose involves taking the complex conjugate of each element in the matrix before transposing.

Can the transpose of Grassmanian variables be applied to non-square matrices?

Yes, the transpose of Grassmanian variables can be applied to non-square matrices. The resulting matrix will have the number of rows and columns swapped, but the same number of elements as the original matrix.