Transpose Problem: Solving Steering Geometry

• Thread starter ZachGriffin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transpose
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with transposing in an equation involving trigonometry and 3D vectors. They have all the variables except for Vf, which is an angle from P1 to the x-axis. They have tried using the identity R * cos(x - alpha) but are still struggling with having multiple instances of Vf in the equation. They are looking for a way to simplify the equation.
ZachGriffin
Hey guys,

So I've actually learned a fair bit about trig identities the last few weeks and beginning to understand how they actually work thanks to Irrational, Mute and some prompting from Hurkyl.

I'm still having trouble with transposing which I think should be fairly simple. The equation is solving steering geometry with two points of rotation that locates two points in space. The equation which works out the length between two points is:

D = | P1 - P2 | with | | denoting the length of the resulting 3D vector.

I know D (the length) and I also know P2 (the x,y,z position of point 2). P1 is what I'm having trouble with. The equation for P1 is:

P1 = Pf + (i1f * Rf * cos(Vf)) + (i2f * Rf * sin(Vf))

I know Pf (the x,y,z position of the axis of rotation), i1f (the x projection vector of P1's rotation axis), Rf(the length between P1 and the axis of rotation) and i2f(the y projection vector of P1's rotation axis).

From those I know all but Vf, which is an angle from P1 to the x-axis and P1, which is solvable by substituting it into the 1st equation D = | P1 - P2 |.

Vf is where I'm having the problem. How can I transpose it to make it the subject. I've tried using the identity R * cos(x - alpha) but still have the same problem of having 2 instances of Vf in the equation as in P1.x, P1.y and P1.z will all use different values for R and alpha. I hope this makes sense. If not I'll post up the images from the white paper I'm using. Any help is much appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I've attached the excerpt anyway:

steering.jpg

Can anyone help here or point me in the right direction? I'm really stuck with this and it doesn't matter which theorem I apply, I still end up with 3 instances of x on the same side of the equation.

ZachGriffin said:
Hey guys,

So I've actually learned a fair bit about trig identities the last few weeks and beginning to understand how they actually work thanks to Irrational, Mute and some prompting from Hurkyl.

I'm still having trouble with transposing which I think should be fairly simple. The equation is solving steering geometry with two points of rotation that locates two points in space. The equation which works out the length between two points is:

I know D (the length) and I also know P2 (the x,y,z position of point 2). P1 is what I'm having trouble with. The equation for P1 is:

I know Pf (the x,y,z position of the axis of rotation), i1f (the x projection vector of P1's rotation axis), Rf(the length between P1 and the axis of rotation) and i2f(the y projection vector of P1's rotation axis).

From those I know all but Vf, which is an angle from P1 to the x-axis and P1, which is solvable by substituting it into the 1st equation D = | P1 - P2 |.

Vf is where I'm having the problem. How can I transpose it to make it the subject. I've tried using the identity R * cos(x - alpha) but still have the same problem of having 2 instances of Vf in the equation as in P1.x, P1.y and P1.z will all use different values for R and alpha. I hope this makes sense. If not I'll post up the images from the white paper I'm using. Any help is much appreciated.

After simplification, you should be left with an equation of the form k = Acos(t) + Bsin(t). Using the angle addition identities, you should be able to get k = Csin(t + p) where [itex]C = \sqrt{A^2 + B^2}[/itex] and p = arctan(A/B).

Thanks for responding slider. When I expand it out, I have something like this:

k = [tex]\sqrt{}[/tex] (A.xCos(t) + B.xSin(t))[tex]^{2}[/tex] + (A.yCos(t) + B.ySin(t))[tex]^{2}[/tex] + (A.zCos(t) + B.zSin(t))[tex]^{2}[/tex]

Is there a way to simplify it because A and B are 3D vectors? I can use the Rcos(x-alpha) like you suggested but I still end up with 3 instances of t on the right side for each component of A and B.

ZachGriffin said:
Hey guys,

My path was to first get the equation:
[tex]\frac{P_1 - P_f}{R_f} = i_{1f}\cos V_f + i_{2f}\sin V_f[/tex]
Then we have
[tex]
C = \sqrt{i_{1f}^2 + i_{2f}^2} [/tex]
[tex]\theta = \arctan \frac{i_{1f}}{i_{2f}}
[/tex]
Expanding and simplifying, we get
[tex]
\frac{P_1 - P_f}{R_f} = \sqrt{i_{1f}^2 + i_{2f}^2}\sin (\arctan \frac{i_{1f}}{i_{2f}} + V_f)
[/tex]
or
[tex]
V_f = \arcsin\left(\frac{P_1 - P_f}{R_f\sqrt{i_{1f}^2 + i_{2f}^2}}\right) - \arctan\frac{i_{1f}}{i_{2f}}
[/tex]

Edit: Oh, I see, the i's are vectors. you will have to use one of the 3 component equations.

Ok thanks. So assuming I use the x component for the equation I still have two unknowns being Vf and P1.x. Do I need another equation to work out what P1 is?

Related to Transpose Problem: Solving Steering Geometry

1. What is the transpose problem in solving steering geometry?

The transpose problem in solving steering geometry is the mathematical problem of determining the steering angles and wheel positions of a vehicle based on its desired path and geometry. It involves finding the inverse of a complex matrix to solve for the unknown variables.

2. Why is solving the transpose problem important in steering geometry?

Solving the transpose problem is important in steering geometry because it allows for precise steering control and ensures that a vehicle follows the desired path accurately. It also helps to optimize the steering system for better handling and stability.

3. What are the main challenges in solving the transpose problem?

The main challenges in solving the transpose problem include dealing with non-linear equations, solving for multiple unknown variables, and finding an efficient and accurate solution method. It also requires a deep understanding of vehicle dynamics and mathematical principles.

4. How do scientists and engineers solve the transpose problem in steering geometry?

Scientists and engineers use various mathematical methods and computer simulations to solve the transpose problem in steering geometry. This may include using algorithms such as Newton's method or gradient descent, as well as advanced techniques like inverse kinematics and optimization algorithms.

5. What are the practical applications of solving the transpose problem in steering geometry?

Solving the transpose problem in steering geometry has many practical applications, including in the design and development of vehicles, autonomous driving systems, and robotics. It also helps to improve the performance and safety of vehicles, as well as optimize fuel efficiency and reduce emissions.