Transverse Wave on a Hanging Cord

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a hanging cord and the speed of transverse waves in the cord. It is shown that the speed of the waves is equal to the square root of the product of gravitational acceleration and the height above the lower end. The time it takes for a pulse to travel from one end of the cord to the other is also discussed, taking into account the variation of tension along the length of the cord. The final answer is found to be L divided by the speed of the wave.
e(ho0n3
[SOLVED] Transverse Wave on a Hanging Cord

Problem. A uniform cord of length L and mass m is hung vertically from a support. (a) Show that the speed of tranverse waves in this cord is [itex]\sqrt{gh}[/itex] where h is the height above the lower end. (b) How long does it take for a pulse to travel upward from one end to the other?

For (a), I know that the speed of a transverse wave on a cord is given by [itex]v = \sqrt{T/\mu}[/itex] where T is the tension on the cord and [itex]\mu[/itex] is the linear density. As far as I understand, T = mg and [itex]\mu = m/L[/itex] so [itex]v = \sqrt{gL}[/itex]. Now, unless h = L (which I know isn't), I don't see how h plays a role here.

The answer to (b) is just L/v obviously.

Physics news on Phys.org
Realize that the tension varies along the length of the cord.

Let's measure the cord from the bottom up with the bottom being y = 0 until y = L. Then tension on the cord at y is [itex]\mu y g[/itex]. Is that what you mean when you wrote that the tension varies along the cord?

Absolutely. Using the terminology of the problem statement, [itex]T = \mu g h[/itex].

Ah, OK. I get it now. I thought h was some constant like L, not a variable.

Related to Transverse Wave on a Hanging Cord

What is a transverse wave?

A transverse wave is a type of mechanical wave in which the particles of the medium vibrate perpendicular to the direction of the wave's propagation.

How does a transverse wave travel on a hanging cord?

A transverse wave on a hanging cord is generated by a disturbance at one end of the cord, causing the particles of the cord to vibrate up and down perpendicular to the direction of the wave’s motion.

What factors affect the speed of a transverse wave on a hanging cord?

The speed of a transverse wave on a hanging cord is affected by the tension and mass per unit length of the cord. Higher tension and lower mass per unit length result in a faster wave speed.

What is the amplitude of a transverse wave on a hanging cord?

The amplitude of a transverse wave on a hanging cord is the maximum distance that the particles of the cord move from their resting position as the wave passes through. It is directly related to the energy of the wave.

Can a transverse wave on a hanging cord experience reflection and interference?

Yes, a transverse wave on a hanging cord can experience reflection when it encounters a boundary and interference when it interacts with other waves. This can result in changes in the wave's amplitude, wavelength, and direction of propagation.