Tranverse velocity of a point on a string

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the transverse velocity of a point on a string at a specific time and position using the given displacement equation. The relationship between displacement and velocity is also discussed, with emphasis on the transverse direction. The final result for the transverse velocity is 2.868 m/s.
jegues

Homework Statement

A sinusoidal wave is moving along a string. The equation governing the displacement as a function of position and time is,

[tex]y(x,t) = 0.12sin[8 \pi(t-\frac{x}{50})],[/tex]

where x and y are in meters, and t is in seconds. At t = 2.4s, what is the transverse velocity of a point on the string at x = 5.0m?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to get started on this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
jegues said:
I don't know how to get started on this one.
"Transverse" means perpendicular to the string. The "transverse velocity" is not the speed of the wave. Rather it is the velocity of a tiny point on the string itself (attached to the string).

You are given the displacement of that point on a string, using the given equation,

[tex]
y(x,t) = 0.12sin[8 \pi(t-\frac{x}{50})],
[/tex]

What's the relationship between displacement and velocity (in terms of integrals, derivatives, etc.)?

collinsmark said:
"Transverse" means perpendicular to the string. The "transverse velocity" is not the speed of the wave. Rather it is the velocity of a tiny point on the string itself (attached to the string).

You are given the displacement of that point on a string, using the given equation,

[tex]
y(x,t) = 0.12sin[8 \pi(t-\frac{x}{50})],
[/tex]

What's the relationship between displacement and velocity (in terms of integrals, derivatives, etc.)?

Velocity is just [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex] isn't it?

jegues said:
Velocity is just [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex] isn't it?
dx/dt is the change in position per unit time (i.e. velocity) of something along the length of the string, assuming the string lies along the x-axis.

But a point on the string itself does not move along length of the string. It moves in a perpendicular, transverse direction. Specifically, it moves in the y direction. :wink: You're looking for dy/dt.

collinsmark said:
dx/dt is the change in position per unit time (i.e. velocity) of something along the length of the string, assuming the string lies along the x-axis.

But a point on the string itself does not move along length of the string. It moves in a perpendicular, transverse direction. Specifically, it moves in the y direction. :wink: You're looking for dy/dt.

Okay so,

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = 0.12 \cdot 8\pi cos(8 \pi t - \frac{8 \pi x}{50})[/tex]

When I plug the numbers in I get,

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = 1.6m/s[/tex]

Which is still incorrect?

Bump, still looking for help on finishing this one off!

Check the evaluation, if you did not mix radians with degrees.

ehild

jegues said:
Bump, still looking for help on finishing this one off!
I got 2.868 m/s.

FAQ: Tranverse velocity of a point on a string

What is the "tranverse velocity" of a point on a string?

The tranverse velocity of a point on a string refers to the speed at which that point moves perpendicular to the direction of the string. In other words, it is the rate of change of the position of the point as it moves side to side along the string.

How is the tranverse velocity of a point on a string calculated?

The tranverse velocity of a point on a string can be calculated using the formula v = ωA, where v is the tranverse velocity, ω is the angular velocity of the string, and A is the amplitude of the string's oscillation. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula v = d/dt(A sin(ωt)), where d/dt represents the derivative with respect to time.

Is the tranverse velocity of a point on a string constant?

No, the tranverse velocity of a point on a string is not constant. It changes as the string oscillates, with its maximum value occurring at the point of maximum displacement and its minimum value occurring at the point of zero displacement.

How does the tranverse velocity of a point on a string relate to its frequency?

The tranverse velocity of a point on a string is directly proportional to its frequency. This means that as the frequency of the string's oscillation increases, the tranverse velocity of a point on the string also increases.

Can the tranverse velocity of a point on a string be negative?

Yes, the tranverse velocity of a point on a string can be negative. This indicates that the point is moving in the opposite direction of its original displacement, towards the equilibrium position. A positive tranverse velocity indicates movement away from the equilibrium position.

Back