Trapezium Rule- finding area of region A.

• Thread starter FlopperJr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving finding the area of a shape using a given equation and values. The person initially gets the wrong answer due to a calculation error, but quickly realizes their mistake and corrects it. They then encounter a second part of the problem, but are able to solve it by finding the area of a rectangle.
FlopperJr

Homework Statement

Question 2
http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/International%20A%20And%20AS%20Level/9709%20-%20Mathematics/9709_s11_qp_22.pdf

Homework Equations

A=1/2xh[(y1)+2(y2)+2(y3)...+(yn)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know h=1
x=0 y=1
x=1 y=√2
x=2 y=√5

however when i plug this into equation, i get wrong answer.
(.5)x1(1+2(√2)+√5
i get 3.03 and the answer should be 3.41. :( what am i doing wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind i got it. it should be y=3 when x=2. i plugged it in wrong because i did x squared not cubed. calculation error

however, now I'm stuck on the second part to that question.

nevermind again lol. i just had to find the area of rectangle 3x2

Related to Trapezium Rule- finding area of region A.

1. What is the Trapezium Rule?

The Trapezium Rule is a mathematical method used to estimate the area under a curve or between two curves. It is commonly used in calculus and numerical analysis to approximate the area of a region that cannot be easily calculated using simple geometric formulas.

2. How does the Trapezium Rule work?

The Trapezium Rule involves dividing the region into smaller trapezoidal shapes and calculating the area of each trapezoid using the formula A = 1/2 * (a + b) * h, where a and b are the lengths of the parallel sides and h is the height of the trapezoid. The sum of all the trapezoidal areas gives an approximation of the total area of the region.

3. When is the Trapezium Rule used?

The Trapezium Rule is often used when the function or curve is not easily integrable, or when the integral cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. It is also commonly used in numerical integration methods to calculate the area of a region with a high degree of accuracy.

4. What are the limitations of the Trapezium Rule?

The Trapezium Rule can only provide an approximation of the actual area and may not be as accurate as other integration methods such as the Simpson's Rule. The accuracy of the Trapezium Rule depends on the number of trapezoids used, with a higher number resulting in a more accurate approximation.

5. How do I use the Trapezium Rule to find the area of region A?

To use the Trapezium Rule to find the area of region A, you will need to divide region A into smaller trapezoids and calculate the area of each trapezoid using the formula A = 1/2 * (a + b) * h. Then, add up all the areas of the trapezoids to get an approximate value for the total area of region A.