Travelling wave: finding the velocity from displacement

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding the velocity of a traveling wave given information about its displacement. It is mentioned that the given mathematical statements do not indicate the wave number or angular frequency, but it is not necessary to identify them. It is suggested to draw a snapshot or history graph of the wave at different times to observe its movement and determine its velocity.
kamhogo
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown.
Hi everyone. I have trouble finding the velocity of a traveling wave give some information about it's displacement. I am given D (x,t)= 1 cm if |x - 4t| <\= 1 &&&D (x,t) = 0 cm if |x - 4t| > 1. I don't know how to interpret these mathematical statements. I've been trying for 3 hours now :(. I have the feeling that it's simple but I simply don't get it. 1) Do they mean that the wave number k=1 and the angular frequency omega=4? ( Inferred from the formula D (x,t)= A cos ( kx +/- wt + phase constant). Does it also mean that the phase constant =0 rad? 2) Am I able to draw a snapshot or hiatory graph from these statements only? If so, can someone give me a hint as of how to proceed? 3) I am asked to find the velocity of the wave. Hint as of how to do that please? Thanks in advance for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
kamhogo said:
Hi everyone. I have trouble finding the velocity of a traveling wave give some information about it's displacement. I am given D (x,t)= 1 cm if |x - 4t| <\= 1 &&&D (x,t) = 0 cm if |x - 4t| > 1. I don't know how to interpret these mathematical statements. I've been trying for 3 hours now :(. I have the feeling that it's simple but I simply don't get it. 1) Do they mean that the wave number k=1 and the angular frequency omega=4? ( Inferred from the formula D (x,t)= A cos ( kx +/- wt + phase constant). Does it also mean that the phase constant =0 rad? 2) Am I able to draw a snapshot or hiatory graph from these statements only? If so, can someone give me a hint as of how to proceed? 3) I am asked to find the velocity of the wave. Hint as of how to do that please? Thanks in advance for any help!
Sorry for the typos!

This is not a sine wave but a pulse. You cannot identify k and omega. But you don't need to.
You can draw the wave at t=0 (for example) and then at some other value of t. 1 second, maybe.
This will show you how the wave front travels.

nasu said:
This is not a sine wave but a pulse. You cannot identify k and omega. But you don't need to.
You can draw the wave at t=0 (for example) and then at some other value of t. 1 second, maybe.
This will show you how the wave front travels.
Thank you! I drew the wave at t=0s and and at t=1s and found the the displacement over one second (velocity)!

Related to Travelling wave: finding the velocity from displacement

1. What is a travelling wave?

A travelling wave is a type of wave that propagates through a medium, carrying energy and momentum with it. It moves in a specific direction and does not change its shape or form as it travels.

2. How is velocity calculated from displacement for a travelling wave?

The velocity of a travelling wave can be calculated by dividing the displacement by the time it takes for the wave to travel that distance. This can be represented by the formula: velocity = displacement / time.

3. What factors affect the velocity of a travelling wave?

The velocity of a travelling wave is affected by the properties of the medium through which it travels, such as density, elasticity, and temperature. It is also influenced by the frequency and wavelength of the wave.

4. Can the velocity of a travelling wave change?

Yes, the velocity of a travelling wave can change depending on the properties of the medium it travels through. For example, if the medium becomes more dense, the velocity of the wave will decrease.

5. How is travelling wave velocity different from wave speed?

Travelling wave velocity refers to the speed at which the wave moves through a medium, while wave speed refers to the rate at which the wave energy travels. In some cases, such as in a vacuum, the two may be the same, but in most cases, they are different due to factors such as medium properties.