Travelling waves - help with formula

In summary, the wave given by the mathematical form y(x,t)=2sin(6t-0.5x) has a frequency of 0.95Hz, a wavelength of 4π meters, and a velocity of 11.94 m/s. At a point 2m from the beginning of the wave (x=0), the displacement as a function of time is given by y(x,t)=2sin(6t-1).
FaraDazed

Homework Statement

A wave has the mathmatical form [itex]y(x,t)=2sin(6t-0.5x)[/itex]

1. What is the waves frequency, wavelength and velocity

2.Write an expression for the displacement of the wave as a function of time at a point 2m from the beginningof the wave.

Homework Equations

[tex]
k=2\pi \lambda \\
f=\frac{\omega}{2\pi} \\
v=\lambda f
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For question 1 I took 6 from the wave equation to be the angular velocity and k to be 0.5 so i did..

[tex]
f=\frac{6}{2\pi}=0.95Hz \\
\lambda=\frac{2\pi}{0.5}=4\pi metres \\
v=\lambda f = 4\pi (0.95)=11.94 m/s
[/tex]

For question 2 I am not too sure what the question is asking, if it is 2m from the start do I just plug 2 in for x in the wave equation given? to get [itex]2sin(6t-1)[/itex]?

Any help appreciated, thanks :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You work looks good to me. I agree that the second question isn't worded very well. The phrase "from the beginning of the wave" is a little odd. But it seems reasonable to me to assume they mean from x = 0, in which case your expression is correct.

Related to Travelling waves - help with formula

1. What is the formula for calculating the speed of a travelling wave?

The formula for calculating the speed of a travelling wave is v = λf, where v is the speed, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency.

2. How do I determine the wavelength of a travelling wave?

The wavelength of a travelling wave can be determined by measuring the distance between two consecutive crests or troughs of the wave.

3. Can the speed of a travelling wave change?

Yes, the speed of a travelling wave can change depending on the medium it is traveling through. It can also change if the frequency or wavelength changes.

4. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength in a travelling wave?

The frequency and wavelength of a travelling wave are inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa.

5. How can I calculate the period of a travelling wave?

The period of a travelling wave can be calculated by taking the reciprocal of the frequency. In other words, T = 1/f, where T is the period and f is the frequency.