Triangle altitude's concurrency by symmetry

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation of the altitude AD in a triangle and the use of symmetry to find other altitude equations. There is a clarification on whether the triangle is equilateral or isosceles, and the importance of being careful when stating a problem is emphasized.
alijan kk

Homework Statement

in the proof of triangle altitudes concurrency , i have found the equation of the Altitude AD,
x(x2-x3)+y(y2-y3)-x1(x2-x3)-y1(y2-y3)
triangle.PNG

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In the book other altitude equations are written by symmetry,

how is the idea of symmetry is used here ? , .

Attachments

• triangle.PNG
    triangle.PNG
    3.4 KB · Views: 847
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing you must learn is to be more careful. The problem statement looks incomplete. What is D, x, y, x1, x2, x3, y1, y2, y3?

Did the book say "symmetry"? I don't see any symmetry, but you may have left out some important parts of the problem statement. Otherwise, "symmetry" is probably the wrong word to use. A better word might be "similarly".

FactChecker said:
The first thing you must learn is to be more careful. The problem statement looks incomplete. What is D, x, y, x1, x2, x3, y1, y2, y3?

Did the book say "symmetry"? I don't see any symmetry, but you may have left out some important parts of the problem statement. Otherwise, "symmetry" is probably the wrong word to use. A better word might be "similarly".

i have now uploaded the image of triangle ,

alijan kk said:

Homework Statement

in the proof of triangle altitudes concurrency , i have found the equation of the Altitude AD,
View attachment 219067

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In the book other altitude equations are written by symmetry,

how is the idea of symmetry is used here ? , .

is a mathematical expression, not an equation. It has no equal sign.

Did you mean to set this expression equal to zero ?

The diagram I see now is better. Did the book say anything else about the triangle? Is it equilateral or isosceles?

Likes alijan kk
@alijan kk: As others have pointed out, it isn't "symmetry", but here is what your author is using. In your figure, if you rotate the labels counterclockwise you will have replaced the subscripts 1 by 2, 2 by 3, and 3 by 1.Then the same steps on the points A, B, and C that were used to get your original expression will give an answer you can get by replacing 1 by 2, 2 by 3, and 3 by 1 in your original expression. Then rotate the subscripts one more time for the third equation. (It has already been pointed out to you that you haven't written equations).

Likes alijan kk
At this point, I think we need to wait for OP to return to this thread.

LCKurtz said:
@alijan kk: As others have pointed out, it isn't "symmetry", but here is what your author is using. In your figure, if you rotate the labels counterclockwise you will have replaced the subscripts 1 by 2, 2 by 3, and 3 by 1.Then the same steps on the points A, B, and C that were used to get your original expression will give an answer you can get by replacing 1 by 2, 2 by 3, and 3 by 1 in your original expression. Then rotate the subscripts one more time for the third equation. (It has already been pointed out to you that you haven't written equations).
VERY HELPFULL <3 yes I would take care of the description next time

FactChecker said:
The diagram I see now is better. Did the book say anything else about the triangle? Is it equilateral or isosceles?
No just a triangle to proov triangle alititudes concurrency

Related to Triangle altitude's concurrency by symmetry

What is the definition of symmetry in a triangle?

Symmetry in a triangle refers to the balanced and equal positioning of its sides and angles. It is a characteristic that can be observed when a shape or object can be divided into two identical halves that mirror each other.

What is an altitude in a triangle?

An altitude in a triangle is a line segment drawn from a vertex perpendicular to the opposite side, creating a right angle. It is also known as a height, and it can be used to find the area of a triangle.

How are altitudes related to symmetry in a triangle?

In a triangle, the altitudes from each vertex are symmetrical to each other. This means that the three altitudes intersect at a single point, known as the orthocenter. This is an example of symmetry by reflection.

Are all triangles symmetrical by altitude?

No, not all triangles are symmetrical by altitude. Only certain types of triangles, such as equilateral and isosceles triangles, have three altitudes that intersect at a single point, making them symmetrical by altitude.

What is the significance of symmetry by altitude in a triangle?

Symmetry by altitude is an important property in geometry as it allows us to find the orthocenter and use it to solve problems related to the area and angles of a triangle. It also helps us understand the relationship between the sides and angles of a triangle.