Triangle Inequality for a Metric

In summary, the triangle inequality holds for the metric d if x1, x2, and y1 are all distinct, y2 and z2 are both distinct, and x1 - y1 + x2 - z1 is non-negative.
tylerc1991

Homework Statement

Prove the triangle inequality for the following metric [itex]d[/itex]

[itex] d\big((x_1, x_2), (y_1, y_2)\big) = \begin{cases}
|x_2| + |y_2| + |x_1 - y_1| & \text{if } x_1 \neq y_1 \\
|x_2 - y_2| & \text{if } x_1 = y_1
\end{cases}, [/itex]

where [itex]x_1, x_2, y_1, y_2 \in \mathbb{R}.[/itex]

Homework Equations

We may assume the triangle inequality for real numbers. That is, [itex]|x + y| \leq |x| + |y|[/itex] for [itex]x, y \in \mathbb{R}[/itex]
[itex]d[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

We wish to show that

[itex]d\big( (x_1, x_2), (z_1, z_2) \big) \leq d\big( (x_1, x_2), (y_1, y_2) \big) + d\big( (y_1, y_2), (z_1, z_2) \big)[/itex]

We may write
[itex]d\big( (x_1, x_2), (z_1, z_2) \big) \leq |x_2| + |z_2| + |x_1 - z_1|[/itex]
[itex]d\big( (x_1, x_2), (y_1, y_2) \big) \leq |x_2| + |y_2| + |x_1 - y_1|[/itex]
[itex]d\big( (y_1, y_2), (z_1, z_2) \big) \leq |y_2| + |z_2| + |y_1 - z_1|[/itex],
although I am not sure if this is helpful.

There are essentially two cases to consider: (i) [itex]x_1 = y_1[/itex] and [itex]y_1 = z_1[/itex], and (ii) [itex]x_1 \neq y_1[/itex] or [itex]y_1 \neq z_1[/itex]

I can do the first case, since [itex]|x_2 - z_2| = |x_2 - y_2 + y_2 - z_2| \leq |x_2 - y_2| + |y_2 - z_2|[/itex], which completes this case.

I have problems with the second case though. I feel like there is some trick that I am missing. Or maybe I shouldn't be handling cases at all? Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
tylerc1991 said:

Homework Statement

Prove the triangle inequality for the following metric [itex]d[/itex]

[itex] d\big((x_1, x_2), (y_1, y_2)\big) = \begin{cases}
|x_2| + |y_2| + |x_1 - y_1| & \text{if } x_1 \neq y_1 \\
|x_2 - y_2| & \text{if } x_1 = y_1
\end{cases}, [/itex]

where [itex]x_1, x_2, y_1, y_2 \in \mathbb{R}.[/itex]

Homework Equations

We may assume the triangle inequality for real numbers. That is, [itex]|x + y| \leq |x| + |y|[/itex] for [itex]x, y \in \mathbb{R}[/itex]
[itex]d[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

We wish to show that

[itex]d\big( (x_1, x_2), (z_1, z_2) \big) \leq d\big( (x_1, x_2), (y_1, y_2) \big) + d\big( (y_1, y_2), (z_1, z_2) \big)[/itex]

We may write
[itex]d\big( (x_1, x_2), (z_1, z_2) \big) \leq |x_2| + |z_2| + |x_1 - z_1|[/itex]
[itex]d\big( (x_1, x_2), (y_1, y_2) \big) \leq |x_2| + |y_2| + |x_1 - y_1|[/itex]
[itex]d\big( (y_1, y_2), (z_1, z_2) \big) \leq |y_2| + |z_2| + |y_1 - z_1|[/itex],
although I am not sure if this is helpful.

There are essentially two cases to consider: (i) [itex]x_1 = y_1[/itex] and [itex]y_1 = z_1[/itex], and (ii) [itex]x_1 \neq y_1[/itex] or [itex]y_1 \neq z_1[/itex]

I can do the first case, since [itex]|x_2 - z_2| = |x_2 - y_2 + y_2 - z_2| \leq |x_2 - y_2| + |y_2 - z_2|[/itex], which completes this case.

I have problems with the second case though. I feel like there is some trick that I am missing. Or maybe I shouldn't be handling cases at all? Any help would be appreciated!

For your case (ii) there are 3 cases
1. x1≠y1≠z1, where
d1+d2=|x1-y1|+|y1-z1|+|x2|+|y2|+|y2|+|z2|
≥|x1-y1+y1-z1|+|x2|+0+0+|z2|
=d
2. x1=y1≠z1, where
d1+d2=|x2-y2|+|y1-z1|+|y2|+|z2|
=|x2-y2|+|y2|+|x1-z1|+|z2|
≥|x2-y2+y2|+|x1-z1|+|z2|
=|x2|+|x1-z1|+|z2|
=d
3. x1≠y1=z1, same as 2

sunjin09 said:
For your case (ii) there are 3 cases
1. x1≠y1≠z1, where
d1+d2=|x1-y1|+|y1-z1|+|x2|+|y2|+|y2|+|z2|
≥|x1-y1+y1-z1|+|x2|+0+0+|z2|
=d
2. x1=y1≠z1, where
d1+d2=|x2-y2|+|y1-z1|+|y2|+|z2|
=|x2-y2|+|y2|+|x1-z1|+|z2|
≥|x2-y2+y2|+|x1-z1|+|z2|
=|x2|+|x1-z1|+|z2|
=d
3. x1≠y1=z1, same as 2

That makes much more sense. Thank you so much!

Related to Triangle Inequality for a Metric

What is the Triangle Inequality for a Metric?

The Triangle Inequality for a Metric is a mathematical principle that states that the sum of the lengths of any two sides of a triangle must be greater than or equal to the length of the third side.

Why is the Triangle Inequality for a Metric important?

The Triangle Inequality for a Metric is important because it is a fundamental property of metric spaces, which are mathematical structures that measure distance between points. It is also used in various areas of mathematics, such as geometry, topology, and analysis.

How is the Triangle Inequality for a Metric used in real life?

The Triangle Inequality for a Metric has many applications in real life, such as in navigation systems, where it is used to calculate the most efficient route between two points. It is also used in computer science, machine learning, and data mining for clustering and classification algorithms.

What happens if the Triangle Inequality for a Metric is not satisfied?

If the Triangle Inequality for a Metric is not satisfied, it means that the given distances do not form a valid triangle. This can happen in non-Euclidean geometries, where the Triangle Inequality for a Metric may not hold. In such cases, alternative distance measures must be used.

Can the Triangle Inequality for a Metric be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Triangle Inequality for a Metric can be generalized to higher dimensions, such as in 3D or n-dimensional spaces. However, the concept of a triangle may not be applicable in higher dimensions, so it is often referred to as the generalized triangle inequality or the generalized metric inequality.