Triangle inequality for a normalized absolute distance

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical inequality and how to prove it. The first person suggests using a similar but known inequality to prove the given one. The second person suggests multiplying by the denominators and isolating terms, but is unable to find a proof. They also mention trying to adapt the known inequality's proof. The conversation ends with the first person encouraging the second person to persist and mentioning that the calculation may be lengthy.
buraq01
Hi, can you please give me some hints to show that
[tex]\frac{|a-b|}{1+|a|+|b|} \leq \frac{|a-c|}{1+|a|+|c|}+\frac{|c-b|}{1+|c|+|b|}, \forall a, b, c \in \mathbb{R}.[/tex]
I tried to get this from
[tex]|a-b| \leq |a-c|+|c-b|, \forall a, b, c \in \mathbb{R},[/tex]
but I couldn't succeed.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you get when you multiply by all the denominators?
Can you do that and isolate |a-b| on the lhs and |a-c|+|c-b| on the rhs?

I tried to play around with that approach but I couldn't get anything.

I played around with this for a few minutes but didn't find a proof. However, there's a similar inequality that I do know how to prove. Perhaps you can adapt this proof, or use this inequality to prove yours.

Claim:

[tex]\frac{x}{1 + x} \leq \frac{y}{1 + y} + \frac{z}{1 + z}[/tex]

for all non-negative x, y, z such that x <= y + z.

Sketch of proof:

First show that the function f(t) = t / (1 + t) is monotonically increasing for non-negative t. Then apply this fact to t1 = x and t2 = y + z.

I still think you can definitely do it by multiplying with the denominators, you just need to be very persistent and the calculation is very lengthy.

FAQ: Triangle inequality for a normalized absolute distance

What is the Triangle Inequality for a Normalized Absolute Distance?

The Triangle Inequality for a Normalized Absolute Distance is a mathematical principle that states that the sum of the absolute values of any two sides of a triangle must be greater than the absolute value of the third side. This applies to triangles in any geometric space, as long as the distance between points is defined by a normalized metric.

How is the Triangle Inequality for a Normalized Absolute Distance used in science?

In science, the Triangle Inequality for a Normalized Absolute Distance is used to determine the validity of mathematical models and simulations. It is also used in data analysis to determine the reliability of distance measurements between data points.

Can the Triangle Inequality for a Normalized Absolute Distance be violated?

No, the Triangle Inequality for a Normalized Absolute Distance cannot be violated. It is a fundamental principle of mathematics and holds true for any type of triangle in any geometric space. If the inequality is violated, it means there is an error in the measurements or calculations.

How does the Triangle Inequality for a Normalized Absolute Distance relate to the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem is a special case of the Triangle Inequality for a Normalized Absolute Distance, where the triangle is a right triangle in a two-dimensional Euclidean space. The theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. This can be seen as a specific application of the Triangle Inequality for a Normalized Absolute Distance.

Are there any exceptions to the Triangle Inequality for a Normalized Absolute Distance?

There are no exceptions to the Triangle Inequality for a Normalized Absolute Distance. It is a universally applicable principle in mathematics and science. However, in some cases, the inequality may seem to be violated due to measurement error or limitations in the precision of calculations.