Triangle problem - Evaluating the given expression

In summary, the author recalls a formula relating ∆ and the three sides, and from the law of sines, finds that \frac{a}{\sin A}=\frac{b}{\sin B}=\frac{c}{\sin C}=2R. He can substitute abc and sines from the above two relations but what should he replace cosines with? Law of cosines doesn't seem to be of much help. He writes that any help is appreciated.
Saitama

Homework Statement

In a triangle ABC, with usual notation, if ##a^2b^2c^2 (\sin 2A + \sin 2B + \sin 2C) = λ(∆)^x## where ∆ is the area of the triangle and x ##\in## Q, find (λx).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The usual notation is:
a,b,c are three sides of the triangle opposite to the angles A,B and C respectively.

I remember a formula relating ∆ and the three sides i.e
$$\Delta=\frac{abc}{4R} \Rightarrow abc=4R \Delta$$
Also, from the law of sines,
$$\frac{a}{\sin A}=\frac{b}{\sin B}=\frac{c}{\sin C}=2R$$
where R is the circumradius of triangle.

The given expression can be written as:
$$2a^2b^2c^2 (\sin A \cos A + \sin B \cos B + \sin C \cos C)$$
I can substitute abc and sines from the above two relations but what should I replace cosines with? Law of cosines doesn't seem to be of much help.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pranav-Arora said:

Homework Statement

In a triangle ABC, with usual notation, if ##a^2b^2c^2 (\sin 2A + \sin 2B + \sin 2C) = λ(∆)^x## where ∆ is the area of the triangle and x ##\in## Q, find (λx).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The usual notation is:
a,b,c are three sides of the triangle opposite to the angles A,B and C respectively.

I remember a formula relating ∆ and the three sides i.e
$$\Delta=\frac{abc}{4R} \Rightarrow abc=4R \Delta$$
Also, from the law of sines,
$$\frac{a}{\sin A}=\frac{b}{\sin B}=\frac{c}{\sin C}=2R$$
where R is the circumradius of triangle.

The given expression can be written as:
$$2a^2b^2c^2 (\sin A \cos A + \sin B \cos B + \sin C \cos C)$$
I can substitute abc and sines from the above two relations but what should I replace cosines with? Law of cosines doesn't seem to be of much help.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Do you remember that sin(2θ)= 2 sinθ cosθ??

ehild

Hi ehild! :smile:

ehild said:
Do you remember that sin(2θ)= 2 sinθ cosθ??

ehild

Yes, and I have even used it. I wrote ##\sin(2A)=2\sin A\cos A## and similarly the others to get the final expression I wrote.

Sorry, it was stupid of me. How can you get the area of the triangle, using R and the central angles?

ehild

ehild said:
Sorry, it was stupid of me. How can you get the area of the triangle, using R and the central angles?

ehild

Only this comes to my mind:
$$\Delta = 2R^2\sin A \sin B \sin C$$

How do I use this?

Do you remember that the area is 0.5absin(C)? See the coloured triangles in the picture. How do you get their area in terms of R and the central angles? How are the central angles related to the angles of the big triangle? ehild

Attachments

• triangleincircle.JPG
    triangleincircle.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
ehild said:
Do you remember that the area is 0.5absin(C)? See the coloured triangles in the picture. How do you get their area in terms of R and the central angles? How are the central angles related to the angles of the big triangle?

ehild

Yes, I remember that. I misunderstood what you meant by the central angle, sorry. :redface:

The areas of three triangles formed are 0.5R2sin(2A), 0.5R2sin(2B) and 0.5R2sin(2C). Am I correct?

Yes, it is correct. So what is the area of the big triangle?

ehild

Likes 1 person
ehild said:
Yes, it is correct. So what is the area of the big triangle?

ehild

$$\Delta = \frac{1}{2}R^2\sin 2A +\frac{1}{2}R^2\sin(2B) +\frac{1}{2}R^2\sin(2C)$$

Also,
$$R=\frac{abc}{4\Delta}$$

$$\Rightarrow \Delta=\frac{1}{2}R^2(\sin 2A+\sin 2B+\sin 2C) \Rightarrow \Delta=\frac{1}{2}\frac{a^2b^2c^2}{16\Delta^2}(\sin 2A+\sin 2B+\sin 2C)$$

$$\Rightarrow a^2b^2c^2(\sin 2A+\sin 2B+\sin 2C)=32\Delta^3$$

Hence, ##\lambda=32## and ##x=3## and therefore ##\lambda x=96##.

Thanks a lot ehild! :smile:

How did you think of those triangles?

I just drew a picture with triangle and circumcircle. It is obvious, is it not, seeing the double angles in the equation. The central angle is twice the inscribed angle... ehild

ehild said:
It is obvious, is it not, seeing the double angles in the equation.

It wasn't for me at least. :redface:

Thank you once again ehild! :smile:

I forgot to tell you that you gave the idea of using circumcircle... I have never seen the equation ##\Delta=\frac{abc}{4R}##. So thank you, Pranav:smile:

ehild

Related to Triangle problem - Evaluating the given expression

1. What is the Triangle Problem?

The Triangle Problem is an exercise in mathematics that involves evaluating a given expression to find the value of a triangle's missing side or angle.

2. How do I solve the Triangle Problem?

To solve the Triangle Problem, you will need to use one of the basic trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, or tangent) and the given information about the triangle's sides and angles. You can then set up and solve an equation to find the missing value.

3. What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine (sin), cosine (cos), and tangent (tan). These functions relate the angles of a triangle to the ratio of its sides.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve the Triangle Problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve the Triangle Problem. Many calculators have built-in functions for sine, cosine, and tangent, making it easier to find the missing value.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving the Triangle Problem?

Yes, there are several shortcuts and tricks for solving the Triangle Problem. One of the most commonly used is the Pythagorean Theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. Additionally, there are trigonometric tables and formulas that can be used to solve more complex problems.