Triangle side terms and area inequality

In summary, the book discusses a problem where we need to prove that x^2+y^2+z^2+3xy+3yz+3zx \ge 4xy+4yz+4zx.
frusciante
Currently revising for my A-Level maths (UK), there is unfortunately no key in the book;
Given the triangle with sides a,b,c respectively and the area S, show that ab+bc+ca => 4*sqrt(3)*S

I have tried using the Ravi transformation without luck, any takers?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
frusciante said:
Currently revising for my A-Level maths (UK), there is unfortunately no key in the book;
Given the triangle with sides a,b,c respectively and the area S, show that ab+bc+ca => 4*sqrt(3)*S

I have tried using the Ravi transformation without luck, any takers?

I see that if we take the area of the triangle using the Heron's formula, which is \(\displaystyle S=\frac{\sqrt{(a+b+c)(a+b-c)(b+c-a)(c+a-b)}}{4}\), and then let \(\displaystyle x=a+b-c,\,y=b+c-a,\,z=a+c-b\), the problem can be turned into a rather straightforward inequality problem...

We're asked to prove

\(\displaystyle \begin{align*}ab+bc+ca &\ge 4\sqrt{3}\frac{\sqrt{(a+b+c)(a+b-c)(b+c-a)(c+a-b)}}{4}\\&=\sqrt{3(a+b+c)(a+b-c)(b+c-a)(c+a-b)}\end{align*}\)

After the substitution, expansion and simplification, we see that we need to prove:

\(\displaystyle (x+y)(x+z)+(x+y)(x+z)+(x+y)(x+z)\ge 4\sqrt{3xyz(x+y+z)}\)

\(\displaystyle x^2+y^2+z^2+3xy+3yz+3zx\ge 4\sqrt{3xyz(x+y+z)}\)

But since \(\displaystyle x^2+y^2+z^2\ge xy+yz+zx\) (from the Rearrangement or AM-GM inequality), we have:

\(\displaystyle x^2+y^2+z^2+3xy+3yz+3zx\ge xy+yz+zx+3xy+3yz+3zx=4xy+4yz+4zx\)

I will leave it to you to prove why \(\displaystyle 4xy+4yz+4zx \ge 4\sqrt{3xyz(x+y+z)}\) must hold, and please take note that my proposed solution isn't the only way to tackle the problem.(Smile)

This problem is discussed (with solution) in the following book.

R.B. Manfrino, J.A.G. Ortega, R.V. Delgado. Inequalities: A Mathematical Olympiad Approach. 2009. p. 74, exercise 2.53.

Related to Triangle side terms and area inequality

1. What is the Triangle Side Terms Inequality Theorem?

The Triangle Side Terms Inequality Theorem states that in any triangle, the sum of the lengths of any two sides must be greater than the length of the third side. In other words, the sum of any two sides of a triangle must be greater than the third side.

2. How does the Triangle Side Terms Inequality Theorem relate to the Triangle Area Inequality Theorem?

The Triangle Area Inequality Theorem states that in any triangle, the area is always less than or equal to half of the product of the perimeter and the inradius. This theorem is based on the Triangle Side Terms Inequality Theorem because the perimeter is determined by the sum of the lengths of the sides of a triangle.

3. Can the Triangle Side Terms Inequality Theorem be applied to all triangles?

Yes, the Triangle Side Terms Inequality Theorem can be applied to all triangles, regardless of their size or shape. This theorem is a fundamental property of triangles and is valid for all triangles.

4. How can the Triangle Side Terms Inequality Theorem be used in real-world applications?

The Triangle Side Terms Inequality Theorem is useful in fields such as engineering, architecture, and construction. It can be used to ensure the stability and strength of structures, as well as to calculate the maximum area that can be enclosed by a given perimeter.

5. Are there any exceptions to the Triangle Side Terms Inequality Theorem?

While the Triangle Side Terms Inequality Theorem is generally true for all triangles, there are a few exceptions. In degenerate triangles, where one or more sides have length 0, the theorem does not apply. Additionally, for triangles on a curved surface, such as a sphere, the theorem may not hold true due to the non-Euclidean geometry.