Tricky inverse Laplace transform

In summary: F(s) = 2 s \frac{(1)}{(s- 3)^2} - 6 f(0) \frac{(1)}{((s - 3)^2)} In summary, you are trying to solve for f(t) in terms of s and f(0), but you are not convolving the Laplace transforms. You are also not correctly transforming cos 3t.
materdei
<< Moderator Note -- thread moved to the Homework Help forums >>

I'm stuck on a problem, and I'm in serious need of help.

I) Problem:

Find the solution to [itex] f (t) = 2 \int^t_0 f'(u) sin 3 (t-u) \ du + 2 cos (3t) [/itex].
Also find [itex] f (0) [/itex].II) Solution, so far:

[itex] F(s) = 2 (s F(s) - f(0)) * \frac{3}{(s^2 + 3^2)} + \frac{2}{(s^2 + 3^2)}[/itex]

[itex] F(s) (1 - \frac{(6 s)}{(s^2 + 3^2)} = \frac{(2 s - 6 f(0)}{(s^2 + 3^2)}[/itex]

[itex] F(s) = \frac{(2 s - 6 f(0)}{(s^2 + 3^2 - 6s)}[/itex]And this is basically where I'm stuck.
III) Proposed final solution:

Rewrites [itex] (s^2 + 3^2 - 6s)[/itex] to [itex](s - 3)^2[/itex]

[itex] F(s) = 2 s \frac{(1)}{(s - 3)^2)} - 6 f(0) \frac{(1)}{((s - 3)^2)}[/itex]

[itex] f(t) = 2 \mathcal {L^{-1}} (s) \mathcal {L^{-1}} \frac{(1)}{(s - 3)^2} - 6 f(0) \mathcal {L^{-1}} \frac{(1)}{(s - 3)^2} [/itex]

[itex] f(t) = 2 t * t e^{3t} - 6 f(0) t e^{3t} [/itex]

[itex] f(t) = 2 t^2 e^{3t} - 6 f(0) t e^{3t} [/itex]

Insert [itex] t = 0 [/itex]

[itex] f(0) = 0* 2 e^{3t} - 0 * 6 f(0) e^{3t} = 0 [/itex]

Hence, [itex] f(0) = 0 [/itex] and therefore [itex] - 6 f(0) t e^{3t} = 0 [/itex]

which gives [itex] f(t) = 2 t^2 e^{3t} [/itex]

However, I feel VERY unsure about this.

Any pointers and feedback are immensly welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

materdei said:

I) Problem:

Find the solution to [itex] f (t) = 2 \int^t_0 f'(u) sin 3 (t-u) \ du + 2 cos (3t) [/itex].

[itex] F(s) = 2 (s F(s) - f(0)) * \frac{3}{(s^2 + 3^2)} + \frac{2}{(s^2 + 3^2)}[/itex]

[itex] F(s) (1 - \frac{(6 s)}{(s^2 + 3^2)} = \frac{(2 s - 6 f(0)}{(s^2 + 3^2)}[/itex]

[itex] F(s) = \frac{(2 s - 6 f(0)}{(s^2 + 3^2 - 6s)}[/itex]And this is basically where I'm stuck.
III) Proposed final solution:

Rewrites [itex] (s^2 + 3^2 - 6s)[/itex] to [itex](s - 3)^2[/itex]

[itex] F(s) = 2 s \frac{(1)}{(s - 3)^2)} - 6 f(0) \frac{(1)}{((s - 3)^2)}[/itex]

[itex] f(t) = 2 \mathcal {L^{-1}} (s) \mathcal {L^{-1}} \frac{(1)}{(s - 3)^2} - 6 f(0) \mathcal {L^{-1}} \frac{(1)}{(s - 3)^2} [/itex]
Well, this is an error. The inverse Laplace transform of [itex]\frac{s}{(s- 3)^2}[/itex] is NOT the inverse Laplace transform of s times the inverse Laplace transform of [itex]\frac{1}{(x- 3)^2}[/itex]

Try writing [itex]\frac{s}{(s- 3)^2}[/itex] as [tex]\frac{s- 3}{(s- 3)^2}+ \frac{3}{(s- 3)^2}= \frac{1}{s- 3}+ 3\frac{1}{(s- 3)^2}[/tex]

[itex] f(t) = 2 t * t e^{3t} - 6 f(0) t e^{3t} [/itex]

[itex] f(t) = 2 t^2 e^{3t} - 6 f(0) t e^{3t} [/itex]

Insert [itex] t = 0 [/itex]

[itex] f(0) = 0* 2 e^{3t} - 0 * 6 f(0) e^{3t} = 0 [/itex]

Hence, [itex] f(0) = 0 [/itex] and therefore [itex] - 6 f(0) t e^{3t} = 0 [/itex]

which gives [itex] f(t) = 2 t^2 e^{3t} [/itex]

However, I feel VERY unsure about this.

Any pointers and feedback are immensly welcome!

materdei said:
<< Moderator Note -- thread moved to the Homework Help forums >>

I) Problem:

You're not convolving the Laplace transforms, and you didn't transform cos 3t correctly. You should have
$$F(s) = 2\left[(s F(s)-f(0)) \frac{3}{s^2+3^2}\right] + \frac{2s}{s^2+3^2}.$$

Also, you can find f(0) by simply setting t=0 in the original equation.

Related to Tricky inverse Laplace transform

1. What is an inverse Laplace transform?

An inverse Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that takes a complex function in the Laplace domain and transforms it back into a real-valued function in the time domain.

2. Why is the inverse Laplace transform considered tricky?

The inverse Laplace transform can be tricky because it involves complex mathematics and requires knowledge of various techniques and formulas to solve. It also requires a deep understanding of the relationship between the Laplace and time domains.

3. How do you solve a tricky inverse Laplace transform?

To solve a tricky inverse Laplace transform, you need to have a good understanding of the properties and techniques involved. This includes partial fraction decomposition, residue theorem, convolution, and other integral transforms.

4. What are some common pitfalls when solving an inverse Laplace transform?

Some common pitfalls when solving an inverse Laplace transform include forgetting to include all constants and factors, making algebraic mistakes, and not using the correct technique for the given function. It is also important to be careful with the handling of complex numbers and to check for convergence.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving tricky inverse Laplace transforms?

To improve your skills in solving tricky inverse Laplace transforms, it is important to practice regularly and work through a variety of examples. It can also be helpful to review and understand the underlying theory and techniques involved. Seeking guidance from a mentor or taking a course in advanced mathematics can also be beneficial.