Tricky precalculus word problem

In summary, the problem is to find the year when a riddle was told at a birthday party a few years ago. The solution involves using X as the variable for the year when the riddle was told and Y as the person's birth year. The equation (X-30) - Y + (X-100) = Y is used, but it results in only finding the person's age instead of the actual year. It is suggested that the person may have meant X+30 instead of X-30.
hisoko

Homework Statement

I need to figure out the formula and answer for this word problem.

it says "A few years ago at her birthday party, mary said take the year it will be 3 decades from now. Subtract the year of my birth and add the year it was one century ago. You now have my birth year.

however I am not trying to find out her birth year but rather what year it was when she was talking about this riddle.

Basically she is telling people at her birthday party that's taken place a few years ago from the present year this riddle and I need to find out what year it was when she was talking about this riddle.

Homework Equations

I came up with using X as the variable for the year it was when she was talking about this at her birthday party and Y as her birth year.

The Attempt at a Solution

the closest i could come up with is (X-30) - Y + (x-100) = Y

x-30 is take the year it will be 3 decades ago when she told this riddle

-Y for subtracting the year of her birth

then +(X-100) for adding the year it was one century ago when she told this riddle.

and then = Y for resulting in her birth year.

So the Y cancel each other out, as I am sure it was supposed too since I can't have 2 unknowns if I am to solve this but If I solve for X I get 35 and that doesn't seem too right as it should end up with something like 1995 or something close as the present year is 2010 and in the math problem it states a few years ago is when she talked about this riddle. Any ideas ? thanks for your help

edit* I just realized the Y doesn't cancel lol well I am out of ideas

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe she talks about x+30, not x-30

However I can only see how old she was when it has all been told.

Magwas is correct. Anyway, I checked with a couple of random years, and it would appear that the description given would apply to any year, or at least more than one, so all you can find is her age.

FAQ: Tricky precalculus word problem

1. What is the definition of a precalculus word problem?

A precalculus word problem is a mathematical question or scenario that requires the use of precalculus concepts and equations to solve. These problems often involve real-world applications and require critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. Why are precalculus word problems considered tricky?

Precalculus word problems can be considered tricky because they often involve multiple steps and require a strong understanding of precalculus concepts. They may also involve complex scenarios that require careful analysis and interpretation.

3. How can I approach solving a tricky precalculus word problem?

To solve a tricky precalculus word problem, it is important to first read and understand the problem carefully. Then, identify the key information and variables and determine which precalculus concepts and equations are relevant. From there, break down the problem into smaller, manageable steps and use problem-solving strategies to find the solution.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving precalculus word problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving precalculus word problems include misinterpreting the problem, using incorrect precalculus concepts or equations, and making calculation errors. It is important to double-check your work and make sure your solution makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving precalculus word problems?

To improve your skills in solving precalculus word problems, it is important to practice regularly and seek help when needed. You can also review precalculus concepts and equations and learn problem-solving strategies to approach different types of word problems. Working with a tutor or joining study groups can also be helpful in improving your skills.