Trig/Algebra Question - Sailboat

• Thread starter awhite
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is to find the length of the spreader, upper shroud, and outer lower shroud for a sailboat mast that is 30 feet tall and has a spreader angle of 5 degrees from the horizontal. Using basic measurements of the mast and shroud connections, we can use the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions to calculate the lengths of the spreader and shrouds. The spreader length is approximately 1 foot and 11 inches, the upper shroud length is about 14 feet and 1 and 1/2 inches, and the outer lower shroud length is around 15 feet and 1 and 1/2 inches. These measurements may vary slightly if the
awhite
So not being a math whiz I have a problem that I was hoping you all could help me with. I'll start with referring you to the following website which shows the parts of the sailboat that I'm trying to figure out.

http://www.marinespars.com/image002.jpg

My rig is a little less complex than this. I lost my mast (the big pole in the centre) last year and have found a replacement mast. The problem is I don't have the spreaders or rigging (specifically the upper/outer lower shrouds). My problem is how long should my spreaders be?

Constraints:
- The spreaders have to be 5 degrees from the horizontal (so they tilt slighly upwards and are not perpendicular to the mast as the picture shows)
- The angle from where the upper shroud and lower outershroud connect at the spreader must bisect (the angle below and above where the upper and outer lower shroud connect to the spreader must be the same)

Measurements
- Height of the mast (30 feet)
- Height from the bottom of the mast to where the spreaders connect (15 feet)
- Horizontal distance from the bottom of the mast to where the outer lower shroud connects (4 feet)
- Vertical distance from the bottom of the mast to where the outer lower shroud connects (1 foot)

The reason why the distance from the bottom of the mast to where the lower outer shroud connects is become my mast sits on top of a cabin which is higher than the deck of the boat (by 1 foot).

Solve: Solve for the length of the spreader
Length of the upper shroud and outer lower shroud

Now these are basic measurements so if you could give me a formula/process on how to solve if these dimensions were to change that would be awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
If I am understanding correctly, dropping a perpendicular line from the point where the shrouds meet the spreader to the deck forms a right triangle with the outer shrould being the hypotenuse. If we call the angle at the spreader "[itex]\alpha[/itex]" and the distance from the foot of the perpendicular "x", we have [itex]tan(\alpha)= x/15[/itex] or [itex]x= 15 tan(\alpha)[/itex]. Further, drawing a perpendicular from the point where the inner shroud is attached to the deck to the first perpendicular gives a second right triangle where the angle at the spreader is also [itex]\alpha[/itex], the height is 14, and the base is 4- x. That gives [itex]tan(\alpha)= (4-x)/14[/itex] or [itex]4- x= 14 tan(\alpha)[/itex]. Dividing one equation by the other eliminates "[itex]tan(\alpha)[/itex] leaving
[tex]\frac{4- x}{x}= \frac{14}{15}[/tex].

We can solve that to get [itex]x= 60/29[/itex], about 2.07 feet. Now, the right triangle for which the outer shroud is the hypotenuse has one leg of 15 feet and the other of 2.07 feet. By the Pythagorean theorem, the length of the outer shroud is
[tex]\sqrt{15^2+ 2.07^2}= \sqrt{225+ 4.3}= \sqrt{229.3}= 15.14[/tex]
or about 15 and 1 and 1/2 inches.

We also have that 4- x= 4- 2.07= 1.93 feet. That gives a gives a right triangle with height 14 feet and base 1.93 feet. Bh the Pythagorean theorem again, the length of the inner shroud is
[tex]\sqrt{14^2+ 1.93^2}= \sqrt{196+ 3.72}= \sqrt{199.72}= 14.13[/tex]
or about 14 feet and 1 and 1/2 inches.

The length of the spreader will be that 1.93 feet of 1 foot and 11 inches.

Now, the "15 feet" and "14 feet" heights you give do NOT take into account that 5 degrees from the horizontal of the spreader- but doing so only changes the lengths by a fraction of an inch so is not really important.

FAQ: Trig/Algebra Question - Sailboat

1. How do I calculate the distance traveled by a sailboat using trigonometry?

To calculate the distance traveled by a sailboat, you can use the formula d = r * θ, where d is the distance, r is the radius (or distance from the sailboat to its starting point), and θ is the angle of rotation. You will need to know the angle of rotation and the radius to use this formula.

2. Can I use trigonometry to calculate the height of a sailboat's mast?

Yes, you can use trigonometry to calculate the height of a sailboat's mast. You will need to measure the distance from the base of the mast to a known point, such as the waterline, and the angle of elevation from the waterline to the top of the mast. Then, you can use the tangent function to find the height of the mast.

3. How do I find the angle of rotation for a sailboat using trigonometry?

To find the angle of rotation for a sailboat, you can use the inverse tangent function. You will need to know the distance traveled and the radius to use this function. The resulting angle will be the angle of rotation in radians, which can be converted to degrees.

4. How can I use algebra to solve a sailboat's velocity?

You can use the formula v = d/t to solve for a sailboat's velocity, where v is the velocity, d is the distance traveled, and t is the time it took to travel that distance. You can rearrange this formula to solve for any of the variables, such as d = v*t or t = d/v. This can help you determine the velocity of a sailboat using algebra.

5. How does the wind speed affect a sailboat's direction using trigonometry?

The wind speed can affect a sailboat's direction by creating a force that pushes the sailboat in a certain direction. To calculate the direction of the sailboat based on the wind speed, you can use the formula θ = sin^-1 (v/w), where θ is the angle of rotation, v is the velocity of the sailboat, and w is the wind speed. This formula takes into account the direction and strength of the wind to determine the angle of rotation for the sailboat.

Back