Trig Identity & Equations simplification

In summary: Similarly I don't know how you got from the top line, to the one following. It's a lot more confusing than I would have imagined trying to convert keyboard text to what you're used to seeing in a text or on paper :P = 1/3 x 1/SQRT(2) + 2/3= (3x1 + 3xSQRT(2)x2)/9xSQRT(2)= (3 + 6SQRT(2)) / (9xSQRT(2))= (1 + 2SQRT(2)) / 3SQRT(2)All I did there was simplify the fractions and add the numerators. Let me know
nursejason
So I've tried to wrap my head around this concept, and I just read the last two sections in this chapter in order to really get a proper mindset here. Despite reading, there are no examples in the book that pertain to these questions, nor is there anything saying what kind of problem it is and as such I'm not able to look anything up.

Some problems are as follows :
Simplify the given expression :

A) If sin x = 1/3 and 0 < x < pi/2, then sin(pi/4 + x) = ?

The answer to this problem is 4+ sqrt 2 all over 6. And I have no idea how to get there. This section in the chapter mostly discusses sin(A+B) = SinASinB-CosACosB

B) If Sin x = -3/4 and 3pi/2 < x < 2pi then cos (pi/4 + x) = ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

If you don't know how to solve it, but at least know what I could look up to figure out how to get to this solution it would be much appreciated. Final is tomorrow and I'm trying to teach myself most of the concepts as my professor was pretty subpar this semester, and I'm not the best student!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
nursejason said:
So I've tried to wrap my head around this concept, and I just read the last two sections in this chapter in order to really get a proper mindset here. Despite reading, there are no examples in the book that pertain to these questions, nor is there anything saying what kind of problem it is and as such I'm not able to look anything up.

Some problems are as follows :
Simplify the given expression :

A) If sin x = 1/3 and 0 < x < pi/2, then sin(pi/4 + x) = ?

The answer to this problem is 4+ sqrt 2 all over 6. And I have no idea how to get there. This section in the chapter mostly discusses sin(A+B) = SinASinB-CosACosB

B) If Sin x = -3/4 and 3pi/2 < x < 2pi then cos (pi/4 + x) = ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

If you don't know how to solve it, but at least know what I could look up to figure out how to get to this solution it would be much appreciated. Final is tomorrow and I'm trying to teach myself most of the concepts as my professor was pretty subpar this semester, and I'm not the best student!

Hey nursejason and welcome to the forums.

For both problems you use the addition formulas for angles within trig functions.

So as an example for the first problem you're given sin(x) = 1/3. You are asked to find sin(x + pi/4).

You can simply use the fact that sin(x + y) = sin(x)cos(y) + cos(x)sin(y). By substituting x = the x you have and y = pi/4 we get

sin(x + pi/4) = sin(x)cos(pi/4) + cos(x)sin(pi/4)

Now given that [sin(x)]^2 + [cos(x)]^2 = 1 means cos(x) = SQRT(1 - [sin(x)^2) = SQRT( 1 - 1/9) = SQRT(8/9). But depending on the quadrant cos(x) will either be positive or negative, which we will come back to.

Ok so cos(x) = (+ or -) SQRT(8/9) = (+,-) 2/3 x SQRT(2). Plug this into your sin(x + pi/4) noting that sin(pi/4) = cos(pi/4) = 1/SQRT(2) we get

sin(x + pi/4) = 1/3 x 1/SQRT(2) + 2/3 x SQRT(2) x 1/SQRT(2)
= 1/3 x 1/SQRT(2) + 2/3
= (3x1 + 3xSQRT(2)x2)/9xSQRT(2)
= (3 + 6SQRT(2)) / (9xSQRT(2))
= (1 + 2SQRT(2)) / 3SQRT(2)

Multiply this by SQRT(2)/SQRT(2) and you get

= SQRT(2)/SQRT(2) x (1 + 2SQRT(2))/(3xSQRT(2))
= (SQRT(2) + 4) / 6

Which is what the book gives.

If you're wondering about why I used + instead of -, look at the unit circle for the range which the angle is in. For example in 1st quadrant both are positive, but in 2nd cos is negative, 3rd sin negative and so on.

I may or may not be able to kiss you. I am a little lost at one part though, yet I understand most of the rest.

Ok so cos(x) = (+ or -) SQRT(8/9) = (+,-) 2/3 x SQRT(2). Plug this into your sin(x + pi/4) noting that sin(pi/4) = cos(pi/4) = 1/SQRT(2) we get

I lost you a little bit here. I am plugging in the +- 2/3 rt2 where exactly? I wrote this down and tried to figure it out a few ways but got a little lost.

Similarly I don't know how you got from the top line, to the one following. It's a lot more confusing than I would have imagined trying to convert keyboard text to what you're used to seeing in a text or on paper :P

= 1/3 x 1/SQRT(2) + 2/3
= (3x1 + 3xSQRT(2)x2)/9xSQRT(2)
= (3 + 6SQRT(2)) / (9xSQRT(2))
= (1 + 2SQRT(2)) / 3SQRT(2)

Like I said, I understand the top line just fine. But I'm not sure how the rest flows.

Thanks so much for your help thus far!

nursejason said:
I may or may not be able to kiss you. I am a little lost at one part though, yet I understand most of the rest.

I lost you a little bit here. I am plugging in the +- 2/3 rt2 where exactly? I wrote this down and tried to figure it out a few ways but got a little lost.

You're substituting + 2/3 ROOT(2) for cos(x). That was figured out by using the fact that
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1. The + is because of the quadrant that x is in.

Similarly I don't know how you got from the top line, to the one following. It's a lot more confusing than I would have imagined trying to convert keyboard text to what you're used to seeing in a text or on paper :P

So I said that sin(x + pi/4) = sin(x)cos(pi/4) + cos(x)sin(pi/4)

sin(pi/4) = cos(pi/4) = 1/ROOT(2). sin(x) = 1/3, cos(x) = + 2/3 x ROOT(2)

Like I said, I understand the top line just fine. But I'm not sure how the rest flows.

Thanks so much for your help thus far!

Going from what I said above the rest is just collecting terms.

When I wrote a SQRT(2)/SQRT(2) all I did was multiply everything by 1 (which doesn't change anything). That basically gets rid of the square root on the denominator and when you collect all the terms together you get the answer.

I completely understand your frustration with not being able to find examples or guidance on how to solve these problems. However, trigonometric identities and equations simplification can be a complex topic, and it is important to have a strong foundation in basic trigonometry before attempting to tackle these types of problems.

To simplify these expressions, it may be helpful to use the trigonometric identities that you mentioned. For example, in problem A, you can use the identity sin(A+B) = sinAcosB + cosAsinB to rewrite sin(pi/4 + x) as sin(pi/4)cos(x) + cos(pi/4)sin(x). Then, you can use the given value of sin(x) to find the value of cos(x), and plug those values into the expression to simplify it.

In problem B, you can use the identity cos(A+B) = cosAcosB - sinAsinB to rewrite cos(pi/4 + x) as cos(pi/4)cos(x) - sin(pi/4)sin(x). Again, you can use the given value of sin(x) to find the value of cos(x), and plug those values into the expression to simplify it.

If you are still struggling with these problems, I would suggest seeking help from a tutor or classmate who may have a better understanding of the material. Additionally, there are many online resources and practice problems available that can help you strengthen your understanding of trigonometric identities and equations simplification. I wish you the best of luck on your final exam.

Related to Trig Identity & Equations simplification

What are trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are equations that involve trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These identities are used to simplify and solve trigonometric equations.

Why are trigonometric identities important?

Trigonometric identities are important because they allow us to simplify complex trigonometric expressions and equations, making them easier to solve. They also help us to establish relationships between different trigonometric functions.

How do you prove a trigonometric identity?

To prove a trigonometric identity, you must show that both sides of the equation are equal by manipulating one side of the equation until it is equivalent to the other side. This can involve using algebraic techniques, manipulating trigonometric functions, and applying known identities.

What are some common trigonometric identities?

Some common trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and sum and difference identities. These identities can be used to simplify trigonometric expressions and solve equations.

How can I use trigonometric identities to solve equations?

Trigonometric identities can be applied to solve equations by simplifying the equation using known identities. This can help to isolate the variable and find its value. Additionally, identities can be used to rewrite the equation in a more manageable form, making it easier to solve.