Trig Problem- solve equation. Check

• Thread starter FlopperJr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the equation 5sin2x-3=0, given values of x in the interval -180≤x≤180, can be solved by taking the square root of both sides to get sin(x) = +/- √(3/5), then finding the inverse of each solution, which are 50.8 and 129.2 for the ' + ' sign and -50.8 and -129.2 for the ' - ' sign. These four solutions give a complete answer to the equation.
FlopperJr

Homework Statement

Solve the equation 5sin2x-3=0, given values of x in the interval -180≤x≤180 correct to 1 decimal place.

Homework Equations

for sin: take inverse
180-θ
±360

The Attempt at a Solution

I rearranged the equation to
sin2=3/5
but I am not quite sure what to do since sine is squared. I think it won't affect answer.

Then I did the inverse which was 36.9
subtrated 180 from inverse; 180- 36.9 = 143.1
Then I did 360±36.9 and 360±143.1
where both of these didn't fit in the interval.

Is this correct: x=36.9° and 143.1°

Physics news on Phys.org
FlopperJr said:

Homework Statement

Solve the equation 5sin2x-3=0, given values of x in the interval -180≤x≤180 correct to 1 decimal place.

Homework Equations

for sin: take inverse
180-θ
±360

The Attempt at a Solution

I rearranged the equation to
sin2=3/5
but I'm not quite sure what to do since sine is squared. I think it won't affect answer.

Then I did the inverse which was 36.9
subtracted 180 from inverse; 180- 36.9 = 143.1
Then I did 360±36.9 and 360±143.1
where both of these didn't fit in the interval.

Is this correct: x=36.9° and 143.1°
What do you mean by " ... I'm not quite sure what to do since sine is squared. I think it won't affect answer." ?

Is the solution to u = 5/3 the same as the solution to u2 = 5/3 ? ... Of course not.

Aww. Alright. Then how would I do it if sin is squared? Sin^2=3/5

FlopperJr said:
Aww. Alright. Then how would I do it if sin is squared? Sin^2=3/5
That should be sin2(x) = 3/5.

Take the square root of both sides of the above equation just like you would to solve u2 = 3/5 .

Don't forget the ± .

After that use the arc-sine function, sin-1 .

Alternatively, you can use the identity, cos(2x) = 1 - 2sin2(x).

Ohhh. So it would be sinx= +/- the sqr root 3/5. Which then the inverse would be 50.8. Then 180 minus 50.8 is 129.2. After that I would take those two answers and +/- 360 which doesn't work. So my two answers I got are 50.8 and 129.2.

FlopperJr said:
Ohhh. So it would be sinx= +/- the sqr root 3/5. Which then the inverse would be 50.8. Then 180 minus 50.8 is 129.2. After that I would take those two answers and +/- 360 which doesn't work. So my two answers I got are 50.8 and 129.2.
Those two answers are fine. They're for [itex]\displaystyle \sin(x)=\sqrt{\frac{3}{5}}\,.[/itex]

Now find the solution for the ' - ' sign: [itex]\displaystyle \sin(x)=-\sqrt{\frac{3}{5}}\,.[/itex]

Okay, for negative square root:
The inverse is -50.8
180-(-50.8). Is 230.8 which doesn't fit the range
But if I subtract from 360 I get -129.2
So my my two answers for this is -50.8 and -129.2 giving me a total of four answers

Related to Trig Problem- solve equation. Check

1. What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, tangent, etc. It typically has one or more unknown variables and the goal is to find the value(s) of the variable(s) that make the equation true.

2. How do you solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you can follow a few steps: 1) Identify the trigonometric function(s) involved in the equation. 2) Use trigonometric identities to simplify the equation. 3) Isolate the variable on one side of the equation. 4) Use inverse trigonometric functions to find the solution(s). 5) Check your solution(s) by plugging them back into the original equation.

3. What are some common trigonometric identities?

Some common trigonometric identities include: 1) Pythagorean identities (ex: sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1). 2) Double angle identities (ex: sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x)). 3) Half angle identities (ex: cos^2(x/2) = (1 + cos(x)) / 2).

4. How do you check your solution to a trigonometric equation?

To check your solution to a trigonometric equation, you can plug the value(s) of the variable(s) into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also graph the equation and your solution(s) to visually check if they intersect at the same point.

5. Can trigonometric equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, trigonometric equations can have multiple solutions. This is because trigonometric functions are periodic, meaning they repeat in a pattern. So, there can be multiple values of a variable that make the equation true. It is important to check all possible solutions when solving a trigonometric equation.

Back