Trig Quick Question: Solving for Values of θ in 0 ≤ θ ≤ 360 Interval

• Thread starter phospho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
It makes sense now.In summary, when factoring equations, it is important to consider any undefined values that may arise, as they can lead to extraneous solutions. In this case, factoring the equation 2sinθ - 1/(sinθ) = 0 led to an undefined value, resulting in additional solutions that are not valid.
phospho
Solve for values of θ in the interval 0 ≤ θ ≤ 360,

2sinθ = cosecθ

now if I do:

2sinθ = 1/(sinθ) and multiply by sinθ

I can solve sinθ = ±√(1/2)

but if I solve 2sinθ - 1/(sinθ) = 0 and factorise to get sinθ(2 - (1/sin^2θ)) = 0

I get sinθ = 0 which gives me more solutions then needed. I've drawn the graphs of both functions and they meet where the solutions of θ are such that sinθ = ±√(1/2) , then why do I get more solutions if I factorise?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because at [itex]\sin\theta=0[/itex] the other factor is undefined.

Think about the function [tex]y=\frac{x(x+1)}{x}[/tex] this is pretty much equivalent to [itex]y=x+1[/itex] except for the fact that it has a hole at x=0 (the coordinate (0,1)). If we solved this equation for when y=0, clearly the only answer is x=-1, but if we factored out x then what we'd have is:

[tex]x\left(\frac{x+1}{x}\right)=0[/tex]

Which seems like it would have an x=0 solution, but it doesn't by the same reasoning.

Mentallic said:
Because at [itex]\sin\theta=0[/itex] the other factor is undefined.

Think about the function [tex]y=\frac{x(x+1)}{x}[/tex] this is pretty much equivalent to [itex]y=x+1[/itex] except for the fact that it has a hole at x=0 (the coordinate (0,1)). If we solved this equation for when y=0, clearly the only answer is x=-1, but if we factored out x then what we'd have is:

[tex]x\left(\frac{x+1}{x}\right)=0[/tex]

Which seems like it would have an x=0 solution, but it doesn't by the same reasoning.

I see, thanks.

But why does this happen? Is there a particular reason or just one of those things.

phospho said:
I see, thanks.

But why does this happen? Is there a particular reason or just one of those things.

It happens because when we use the rule that if [itex]ab=0[/itex] then either a, b or both are equal to zero, we are assuming that a and b are real numbers. Undefined numbers and infinite are not real.

Without using any rigor, if we use an undefined number like 1/0 such that a=0 and b=1/0, then ab=1 (again, I'm abusing the maths here just to explain a point, don't take it as being correct). As you can see while we solved for a=0, it turns out that ab didn't turn out to be equal to zero, hence we cannot take a=0 because it is not a solution.

thank you

Related to Trig Quick Question: Solving for Values of θ in 0 ≤ θ ≤ 360 Interval

1. How do I solve for values of θ in the 0 ≤ θ ≤ 360 interval?

To solve for values of θ in this interval, you can use the unit circle or trigonometric identities. Start by identifying the given trigonometric function (sine, cosine, tangent, etc.) and then use the inverse function to find the corresponding angle. Remember to check for any restrictions on the interval or any special cases, such as when the function is equal to 0 or undefined.

2. What is the significance of the 0 ≤ θ ≤ 360 interval in trigonometry?

The 0 ≤ θ ≤ 360 interval is commonly used in trigonometry because it represents one full rotation or cycle in the unit circle. This interval is often used to find all possible solutions to trigonometric equations or to graph trigonometric functions.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve for values of θ in the 0 ≤ θ ≤ 360 interval?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve for values of θ in this interval. Make sure to use the inverse function (sin^-1, cos^-1, tan^-1) and to set your calculator to the correct mode (degrees or radians) depending on the given problem.

4. What should I do if the given function has multiple solutions in the 0 ≤ θ ≤ 360 interval?

If the given function has multiple solutions, you will need to use the general solution formula for trigonometric equations. This formula involves adding or subtracting integer multiples of 360 degrees or 2π radians to the initial solution to find all possible solutions in the interval. Be sure to check your answers by substituting them back into the original equation.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving for values of θ in the 0 ≤ θ ≤ 360 interval?

One common mistake is forgetting to check for restrictions on the interval or special cases. It's also important to pay attention to whether the given function is in degrees or radians and to use the correct mode on your calculator. Additionally, be careful when using the general solution formula and check for any extraneous solutions. Finally, make sure to simplify your final answers and include the appropriate units (degrees or radians).