Trig108's Question form Math Help Forum

• MHB
  • Thread starter Sudharaka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form Forum
In summary, "Trig108's Question form Math Help Forum" is an online forum for mathematics where users can post questions and receive help from other members. To join, click on the "Register" button or use your Google or Facebook account. Any type of math question can be asked, but users are encouraged to provide all necessary information and show their attempt at solving the problem. There is no limit to the number of questions that can be asked, but users should be considerate. The responses on the forum are provided by knowledgeable members of the community, but users are advised to double-check and verify the information before using it for academic or professional purposes.
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
Title: Website/Article of use for solving this?

trig108 said:
So we were given a couple practice problems to learn about characteristic polynomials..

However the book is very confusing to me and I can't find a whole lot of resource for two particular problems that are very similar...

If someone could point me in the right direction (material wise) to learning how to solve this I would appreciate it because I am very stumped.

USE the characteristic polynomial to solve the diffEq:

\[2y''-2iy'+12y=0\]

Please show me where I could learn to solve these types of problems, thank you!

Hi trig108, :)

I think a good place to start with is Paul's Online Notes: Differential Equations. It gives a very simple introduction which is easy to understand. Also "A First Course in Differential Equations by Dennis Zill" is a nice book that I referred when doing some courses about differential equations. The Wikipedia article about Characteristic equations is another resource you might like.

Let me explain on how to solve the differential equation you have given,

\[2y''-2iy'+12y=0\]

Firstly we can divide the whole equation by \(2\).

\[\Rightarrow y''-iy'+6y=0\]

Now we need a function that preserves its form after taking the first and second derivative. One such function is, \(y=e^{mx}\) where \(m\) is a constant to be determined (See this). When you substitute this into the differential equation,

\[m^2e^{mx}-ime^{mx}+6e^{mx}=0\]

Since, \(e^{mx}\neq 0\) we get,

\[m^2-im+6=0\]

\[m=\frac{i-\sqrt{23}}{2},\,m=\frac{i+\sqrt{23}}{2}\]

Therefore the general solution of this differential equation would be,

\[y(x)=A\,\mbox{exp}\,\left[\left(\frac{i-\sqrt{23}}{2}\right)x\right]+B\,\mbox{exp}\,\left[\left(\frac{i+\sqrt{23}}{2}\right)x\right]\mbox{ where }A\mbox{ and }B\mbox{ are arbitrary constants.}\]

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

I would also recommend looking into resources such as Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera for online courses or lectures on differential equations. These platforms often have free resources available and can provide a more structured learning approach. Additionally, reaching out to your professor or classmates for help and clarification on specific concepts can also be beneficial. Good luck with your studies!

FAQ: Trig108's Question form Math Help Forum

1. What is "Trig108's Question form Math Help Forum"?

"Trig108's Question form Math Help Forum" is an online forum where users can post questions related to mathematics and receive help and answers from other members of the community.

2. How do I join the forum?

To join "Trig108's Question form Math Help Forum", simply click on the "Register" button on the homepage and follow the prompts to create an account. Alternatively, you can also sign up using your Google or Facebook account.

3. Can I ask any type of math question on the forum?

Yes, you can ask any type of math question on the forum. However, please make sure to provide all the necessary information and show your attempt at solving the problem to receive accurate and helpful responses.

4. Is there a limit to the number of questions I can ask on the forum?

No, there is no limit to the number of questions you can ask on "Trig108's Question form Math Help Forum". However, we encourage users to be considerate and avoid spamming the forum with multiple questions at once.

5. Are the responses on the forum reliable?

The responses on "Trig108's Question form Math Help Forum" are provided by other members of the community who are knowledgeable in mathematics. While we cannot guarantee the accuracy of all responses, we encourage users to double-check and verify the information provided before using it for academic or professional purposes.

Back