Trigonometric Equation problem

In summary, if cos x = a/b and tan x = c/d, where a, b, c do not equal 0, then sin x = c/d. This can be derived from the fact that tan x = sin x/cos x and multiplying both sides by cos x gives sin x = cos x tan x. This does not involve the hypotenuse of the right triangle.
Sabellic

Homework Statement

If cos x = a/b and tan x = c/d; where a, b, c do not equal 0, then sin x is...

(a) bd/ac
(b) bc/ad
(c) ad/bc
(d) ad/bc

Homework Equations

tri5a.gif

trig_ident_6.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I see it, if cos x = a/b, then b=hypotenuse.
if tan x = c/d, then d= hypotenuse (two hypotenuse values?) and c = opposite.

Therefore sin x = c/d. I don't know why the answers in the book use products of the vairables in their numerators and denominators.

Please help.

Much thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm... Your c) and d) choices are the same..and the tan doesn't involve the hypotenuse.
Are you sure you copied the whole thing right?

Last edited:
Since
[tex]tan \alpha= \frac{sin \alpha}{cos \alpha}[/tex]
multiplying on both sides by [itex]cos(\alpha)[/itex] gives

[tex]sin(\alpha)= cos(\alpha)tan(\alpha)[/tex]
That's all you need.

Related to Trigonometric Equation problem

1. What is a trigonometric equation problem?

A trigonometric equation problem involves finding the unknown value(s) in an equation involving trigonometric functions (such as sine, cosine, and tangent).

2. How do I solve a trigonometric equation problem?

To solve a trigonometric equation problem, you can use algebraic manipulation, trigonometric identities, and knowledge of the unit circle. It is important to isolate the trigonometric function and then use inverse trigonometric functions to solve for the unknown value(s).

3. What is the unit circle and how is it used in solving trigonometric equations?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 and is used to represent the relationship between the trigonometric functions and angles. It is used in solving trigonometric equations because it provides a visual representation of the values of sine, cosine, and tangent for different angles.

4. Are there any common mistakes made when solving trigonometric equation problems?

Some common mistakes when solving trigonometric equations include not using the correct inverse trigonometric function, making errors in algebraic manipulation, and forgetting to check for extraneous solutions (solutions that do not satisfy the original equation).

5. How can I check my answer when solving a trigonometric equation problem?

You can check your answer by substituting the value(s) you found into the original equation and ensuring that it satisfies the equation. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph the equation and see if the points of intersection match your solution(s).