Trigonometric Identity: Double Angle.

In summary: I know and this is what confuses me. You can express the area in terms of ##\phi## yes, but this won't get me anywhere.
Jessbek

Homework Statement

Here is the question given:

A blade for a lawnmower consists of two parts made of the same material and joined together as shown:

Untitled.jpg

The length OP is one unit in length and MPQN is square in shape.

Develop an equation for the cross-sectional area of the blade and find the magnitude of angle ∅ to give the area of the blade.

Homework Equations

sin 2 ∅ = 2 ((sin ∅) (cos ∅)

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt? I've tried deriving the double angle equation but can't get anywhere... :( basically there is only one known piece of info (in the hypotenuse being one unit in length)...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jessbek said:

Homework Statement

Here is the question given:

A blade for a lawnmower consists of two parts made of the same material and joined together as shown:

View attachment 47006

The length OP is one unit in length and MPQN is square in shape.

Develop an equation for the cross-sectional area of the blade and find the magnitude of angle ∅ to give the area of the blade.

Homework Equations

sin 2 ∅ = 2 ((sin ∅) (cos ∅)

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt? I've tried deriving the double angle equation but can't get anywhere... :( basically there is only one known piece of info (in the hypotenuse being one unit in length)...

I guess you mean express the area of the blade in terms of ##\phi##. Use trig to express PM and OM in terms of ##\phi##, then use that to calculate the two areas.

LCKurtz said:
I guess you mean express the area of the blade in terms of ##\phi##. Use trig to express PM and OM in terms of ##\phi##, then use that to calculate the two areas.

I know what you mean and thank you.

But what I don't know is what to do from there to get some physical/actual answer...

Jessbek said:
I know what you mean and thank you.

But what I don't know is what to do from there to get some physical/actual answer...

Well, I don't know what else to do either because the statement "find the magnitude of angle ∅ to give the area of the blade" doesn't mean anything to me.

LCKurtz said:
Well, I don't know what else to do either because the statement "find the magnitude of angle ∅ to give the area of the blade" doesn't mean anything to me.

I think it simply means find the value of theta, and in turn, use that value to find the surface area of the blade.

LCKurtz said:

Jessbek said:
I think it simply means find the value of theta, and in turn, use that value to find the surface area of the blade.

But there isn't "a value of ##\phi##". As ##\phi## varies so does the area. You can express the area in terms of ##\phi##. I think the rest of the problem isn't properly stated.

LCKurtz said:
But there isn't "a value of ##\phi##". As ##\phi## varies so does the area. You can express the area in terms of ##\phi##. I think the rest of the problem isn't properly stated.

I know and this is what confuses me. You can express the area in terms of ##\phi## yes, but this won't get me anywhere. I have written the question essentially the same, so maybe there is an error with the question.

Related to Trigonometric Identity: Double Angle.

What is a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that relates different trigonometric functions. These identities are used to simplify and solve trigonometric expressions.

What is a double angle identity?

A double angle identity is a trigonometric identity that expresses a trigonometric function of twice an angle in terms of the trigonometric function of the angle itself.

What are the double angle formulas for sine and cosine?

The double angle formulas for sine and cosine are:
Sin(2θ) = 2sinθcosθ
Cos(2θ) = cos^2θ - sin^2θ or 2cos^2θ - 1

How are double angle identities useful?

Double angle identities are useful in simplifying complex trigonometric expressions, solving trigonometric equations, and proving other trigonometric identities. They can also be used to find values of trigonometric functions for angles that are not on the unit circle.

Are there any other double angle identities besides the ones for sine and cosine?

Yes, there are double angle identities for tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant as well. These can be derived from the double angle identities for sine and cosine.