Trigonometric identity from Euler's intro to analysis of infinite

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of equating an identity in Euler's introduction to analysis of the infinite. The left and right sides of the identity are shown and it is explained how using basic identities and factoring leads to Euler's answer. The speaker expresses gratitude for the help and acknowledges that they should have seen it.
EvenSteven
So I'm trying to get through euler's introduction to the analysis of the infinite so I could eventually read his books on calculus but I'm stuck somewhere and can't seem to figure out how he equates this identity
euler_trig.png

so by expanding I get sin(2y) * cos(z) + cos(2y) * sin(z).

I get that the second term of the equation [cos(2y) * sin(z)] gives cos2y - sin2y which gives - sin z if you take the negative out of the factor but I can't seem to figure out how sin(2y) * cos(z) = 2cosy * sin(y + z). I just get 2siny * cosy * cosz and can't seem to do anything else.

I'm probably missing something terribly obvious like always happens but I'd really appreciate some help I have nobody I can ask in real life and I don't like to just move on because the book gets more complicated. This is on page 104 if anyone cares to know.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Left side:$$
\sin(2y+z) = \sin(2y)\cos z + \cos(2y)\sin z =
2\sin y\cos y \cos z + (2\cos^2y - 1)\sin z$$
Right side:$$
2\cos y(\sin y \cos z + \cos y \sin z)-\sin z=2\cos y \sin y \cos z
+2\cos^2 y \sin z -\sin z$$Does that do it for you?

Yes, thank you very much, figures I just had to use basic identify [tex]sin^2x = 1 - cos^2x[/tex] and then simply factor to get to euler's answer.

I definitely should have seen that.

Related to Trigonometric identity from Euler's intro to analysis of infinite

1. What is Euler's introduction to analysis of infinite?

Euler's introduction to analysis of infinite is a mathematical concept that deals with infinite series, limits, and other mathematical functions. It was developed by the Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler in the 18th century.

2. How does Euler's introduction to analysis of infinite relate to trigonometric identities?

Euler's introduction to analysis of infinite is closely related to trigonometric identities because Euler's formula, e^(ix) = cosx + isinx, is derived from the Taylor series expansion of the exponential function. This formula forms the basis for many trigonometric identities.

3. What are some common trigonometric identities derived from Euler's introduction to analysis of infinite?

Some common trigonometric identities derived from Euler's introduction to analysis of infinite include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and half angle identities. These identities are useful in solving trigonometric equations and simplifying trigonometric expressions.

4. How can Euler's introduction to analysis of infinite be used to prove trigonometric identities?

Euler's introduction to analysis of infinite can be used to prove trigonometric identities by using the properties of infinite series and limits to manipulate and simplify expressions. This allows for a more rigorous and logical approach to proving trigonometric identities.

5. What are some real-world applications of trigonometric identities derived from Euler's introduction to analysis of infinite?

Trigonometric identities derived from Euler's introduction to analysis of infinite are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. For example, they are used in the analysis of alternating current circuits, signal processing, and celestial navigation.