Trigonometric integration question

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the integral of secant cubed and suggests using integration by parts. One person suggests breaking it down into smaller integrals, while the other suggests using a reduction formula for integrals of powers of trigonometric functions. The conversation concludes with a solution using integration by parts and finding the integral to be equal to sec(x)tan(x) - ∫sec^3(x)dx + ln(sec(x)+tan(x)).
stonecoldgen
The question asks to find ∫secxtan2x

I rewrote tan2x as (sec2x-1). Then I expanded the equation having sec3x-secx and I know the integral of secx which is 0.5ln|tanx+secx|,

but my question is, is integrating sec3x by parts the correct path? or not?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int secx{dx} = ln(tanx+secx)[/tex]

And as for ∫sec3x dx; You can try parts, but you thought how you can break it?
OR you can look for some formula of finding integrals of powers of trigonometric functions (Reduction formulas)

sec(x)tan2(x)=sec3(x)sin2(x)=[sec3(x)sin(x)]sin(x), which you can integrate by parts.

ehild

The integral of secant cubed can be evaluated as follows (it is a common integral) with using integration by parts, applying [itex]u=\sec(x)[/itex] and [itex]dv=\sec^2(x)dx[/itex]:
[tex]\begin{align}
\int \sec^3(x)dx=\sec(x)\tan(x)-\int \sec(x)\tan^2(x)dx \\
= \sec(x)\tan(x)-\int \sec^3(x)dx + \int \sec(x)dx \\
= \sec(x)\tan(x)-\int \sec^3(x)dx + \log(\sec(x)+\tan(x))
\end{align}[/tex]
Now solve that equation for the integral.

FAQ: Trigonometric integration question

1. What is a trigonometric integration question?

A trigonometric integration question is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the integral of a function that contains trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, or tangent.

2. How do I solve a trigonometric integration question?

To solve a trigonometric integration question, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. It is important to understand the properties of trigonometric functions and have a good grasp of integration rules and techniques.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve a trigonometric integration question?

While a calculator can help with evaluating the final integral, it is not recommended to solely rely on it for solving trigonometric integration questions. It is crucial to understand the steps and methods used in solving the problem to ensure accuracy.

4. Are there any common tips or tricks for solving trigonometric integration questions?

Yes, some common tips and tricks for solving trigonometric integration questions include simplifying the given expression, using trigonometric identities, and paying attention to limits and boundary conditions.

5. Can you provide an example of a trigonometric integration question and its solution?

Sure, here is an example: Find the integral of sin^2(x). Solution: Using the identity sin^2(x) = (1-cos(2x))/2, we can rewrite the integral as (1/2)∫(1-cos(2x))dx. Applying integration by parts with u = 1-cos(2x) and dv = dx, we get the solution (x/2) - (sin(2x)/4) + C.