Trigonometric Laurent Series and Complex Integration

In summary, the task is to solve the integral \frac{1}{\cos 2z} on the contour z=|1| using a Laurent series. There are two singularity points at \pm \frac{\pi}{4} within the contour region and a Taylor series expansion of sec z is only convergent for \pm \frac{\pi}{2}. Two methods have been tried, one using a Taylor series and constructing a geometric series, and the other using a trigonometric identity and deriving partial fractions. However, the problem is that they are expanding about z=0 instead of each pole. Another approach is suggested by writing \cos 2z in terms of \cos 2[(z\pm\pi
thelema418
My task is to solve the integral [itex]\frac{1}{\cos 2z}[/itex] on the contour [itex]z=|1|[/itex] using a Laurent series.

The easy part of this is the geometric part. I drew a picture of the problem. I see that there are two singularity points that occur within the contour region at [itex]\pm \frac{\pi}{4}[/itex]. I realize that one of the problems with a Taylor series expansion of sec z is that it is only convergent for [itex]\pm \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex].

I have tried several methods of determining the Laurent series, but I am having difficulty with this problem. I have tried two methods, and I am not certain what might be a better strategy -- or if I am going down the wrong road completely. In one method (a), I create a Taylor series, and then construct a geometric series. In the other (b), I use a trigonometric identity and derive partial fractions.

In method (a) I considered [itex]u=2z[/itex], [itex]\frac{1}{\cos{u}}[/itex]. I changed the cosine to a Taylor Series, and then recognized the geometric series, so that:

[itex]\sum_{j=0}^\infty \left( \sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{z^{(2k+2)}}{(2k+1)!} \right)^j[/itex]

In method (b) I got
[itex] \frac{1}{2} \left( \frac{1}{1-\sqrt{2} \sin z} - \frac{1}{1+\sqrt{2} \sin z}\right)[/itex]

Is one of these methods better to keep following -- or am I on the wrong track altogether? Also, sorry to be not as thoroughly detailed... I wrote a lot, but the system logged me out during one of my previews and I lost everything.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
thelema418 said:
My task is to solve the integral [itex]\frac{1}{\cos 2z}[/itex] on the contour [itex]z=|1|[/itex] using a Laurent series.

The easy part of this is the geometric part. I drew a picture of the problem. I see that there are two singularity points that occur within the contour region at [itex]\pm \frac{\pi}{4}[/itex]. I realize that one of the problems with a Taylor series expansion of sec z is that it is only convergent for [itex]\pm \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex].

I have tried several methods of determining the Laurent series, but I am having difficulty with this problem. I have tried two methods, and I am not certain what might be a better strategy -- or if I am going down the wrong road completely. In one method (a), I create a Taylor series, and then construct a geometric series. In the other (b), I use a trigonometric identity and derive partial fractions.

In method (a) I considered [itex]u=2z[/itex], [itex]\frac{1}{\cos{u}}[/itex]. I changed the cosine to a Taylor Series, and then recognized the geometric series, so that:

[itex]\sum_{j=0}^\infty \left( \sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{z^{(2k+2)}}{(2k+1)!} \right)^j[/itex]
The problem here is that you're expanding about z=0. You want to find the Laurent series about each pole. I'd start by writing ##\cos 2z = \cos 2[(z\pm\pi/4)\mp\pi/4]##.

In method (b) I got
[itex] \frac{1}{2} \left( \frac{1}{1-\sqrt{2} \sin z} - \frac{1}{1+\sqrt{2} \sin z}\right)[/itex]

Is one of these methods better to keep following -- or am I on the wrong track altogether? Also, sorry to be not as thoroughly detailed... I wrote a lot, but the system logged me out during one of my previews and I lost everything.
Thanks

Related to Trigonometric Laurent Series and Complex Integration

What is a Trigonometric Laurent Series?

A Trigonometric Laurent Series is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms involving trigonometric functions. It is used to express complex functions in terms of simpler trigonometric functions, and is commonly used in the fields of mathematics and physics.

What is Complex Integration?

Complex Integration is a mathematical technique used to calculate the integral of a function over a complex plane. It involves integrating complex-valued functions along a contour in the complex plane, and can be used to solve a variety of problems in mathematics and physics.

Why are Trigonometric Laurent Series and Complex Integration important?

Trigonometric Laurent Series and Complex Integration are important because they allow us to express complex functions in a simpler form and solve complex problems more easily. These techniques have numerous applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

What is the difference between a Taylor Series and a Laurent Series?

A Taylor Series is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms involving powers of x, while a Laurent Series includes both positive and negative powers of x. In other words, a Taylor Series is a special case of a Laurent Series where all the terms with negative powers of x are equal to zero.

How are Trigonometric Laurent Series and Complex Integration related?

Trigonometric Laurent Series and Complex Integration are closely related because the coefficients in a Laurent Series can be calculated using complex integration. This allows us to express complex functions in terms of simpler trigonometric functions, making complex problems easier to solve.