Trigonometric Limit without L'Hôpital's Rule

In summary, the problem is to calculate the limit of a given function and determine whether it exists or not. The attempt at a solution involved expressing the trigonometric functions in terms of sine and cosine, but this approach did not provide a solution. The use of L'Hôpital's rule is prohibited in this exercise. However, by dividing both the numerator and denominator by x and applying the limit of sin(kx)/x, it was possible to solve the problem and arrive at the correct answer. The final solution involved recognizing that 3x = 2x * 1.5.
Sheepwall

Homework Statement

"Calculate the following limit if it exists. If it does not exist, motivate why.
[itex] \displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} {\frac{x + x^2 +\sin(3x)}{tan(2x) + 3x}} [/itex]

Do not use l'Hôpital's rule."

Homework Equations

[itex](1) \sin(a\pm b) = \cos(a)\sin(b)\pm\cos(b)\sin(a) [/itex]

[itex](2) \cos(a\pm b) = \cos(a)\cos(b)\mp\sin(a)\sin(b) [/itex]

[itex](3) \displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} {\frac{\sin(x)}{x}} = 1 [/itex]

[itex](4) \tan(x) = \frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried expressing the trigonometrics in terms of [itex]\sin(x)[/itex] and [itex]\cos(x)[/itex], but it just got messier without helping me in any way.

This isn't me just jumping on these forums as soon as I can't find the answer; I have genuinely been trying to solve this problem and looking over my methods much more than once.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try L'Hospital's rule.

Likes Sheepwall
Ah! Forgot to mention: L'Hôpital's rule is prohibited on this exercise. Sorry, I'll add it to the post.

Divide both the numerator and denominator by x. Use that the limit of sin(kx)/(kx) is zero if x goes to zero and k is a constant.

ehild

Thanks, I'll try that. Don't you mean the limit [itex] \displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} {\frac{\sin(x)}{x}} = 1 [/itex] though?

Sheepwall said:
Thanks, I'll try that. Don't you mean the limit [itex] \displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} {\frac{\sin(x)}{x}} = 1 [/itex] though?
Yes, I meant that, but you have sin3x and sin(2x) so consider the limit of sin(kx)/x .

Likes Sheepwall
Thank you for the help, I solved it yesterday by dividing numerator and denominator by 3x and realizing that 3x = 2x * 1.5.

Sheepwall said:
Thank you for the help, I solved it yesterday by dividing numerator and denominator by 3x and realizing that 3x = 2x * 1.5.

Clever! :)

FAQ: Trigonometric Limit without L'Hôpital's Rule

1. What is a limit involving trigonometry?

A limit involving trigonometry is a mathematical concept that involves finding the value that a function approaches as its input (x-value) gets closer and closer to a certain point.

2. How do I solve a limit involving trigonometry?

To solve a limit involving trigonometry, you can use various methods such as substitution, factoring, and trigonometric identities. It is important to also check for any indeterminate forms such as 0/0 or ∞/∞ before using these methods.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the values of a function as the input approaches from one direction (either the left or the right) of a certain point. A two-sided limit considers the values of a function as the input approaches from both directions.

4. Can I use the squeeze theorem to evaluate limits involving trigonometry?

Yes, the squeeze theorem is a useful tool for evaluating limits involving trigonometric functions. It states that if a function is always between two other functions as x approaches a certain point, then the limit of the function is also the limit of the two other functions.

5. Are there any common trigonometric limits that I should know?

Yes, there are some common trigonometric limits that can be used to quickly evaluate more complicated limits. These include the limits of sinx/x, cosx/x, and tanx/x as x approaches 0, which are all equal to 1.