Trigonometric sequence - Find Un out of Un+1 - hard

In summary, when given a sequence with the formula Un+1 = quroot(2 + Un), one can calculate U1, U2, and U3 in terms of x and simplify to a maximum of 2cos(x/2). It can also be shown that Un = 2cos(x/2^n).
JPC

Homework Statement

Un a sequence

0 < x < pi/2

U0 = 2cosx

Un+1 = quroot( 2 + Un)

1) Calculate U1, U2, and U3 in function of x (simplify maximum)

2) Show that Un = 2cos( x / 2^n)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1)
U1 = sqroot( 2 + 2cosx) = sqroot( 2 (1 + cosx))
= ?? (now , how do i simplify)

because , i should have when i have simplified a maximum :

U1 = 2cos(x/2)
= 2 (2cosx² - 1)
= 4cosx² - 2

So how do i go from sqroot( 2 + 2cosx) to 4cosx² - 2 ??

Physics news on Phys.org
Use [tex]\cos 2x = \cos^2 x - \sin^2 x[/tex]

oh ...

i realized i did a mistake here :

this is wrong :
"U1 = 2cos(x/2)
= 2 (2cosx² - 1)
= 4cosx² - 2"

i can't believe , i confused cos(0.5x) and cos(2x)

////

now that i realized i did it like the other way round :

U1 = root( 2 + 2cos(x))
= root(2 + 2(2cos(0.5x)² - 1))
= root(4cos(0.5x)²)
= 2cos(0.5x)

Ok , managed to to do all the rest now , thanks

Last edited:

FAQ: Trigonometric sequence - Find Un out of Un+1 - hard

1. What is a trigonometric sequence?

A trigonometric sequence is a sequence of numbers that follows a specific pattern based on trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, or tangent. The sequence can be represented as Un = f(n), where f(n) is a function of the angle n.

2. How do you find Un out of Un+1 in a trigonometric sequence?

To find Un out of Un+1 in a trigonometric sequence, you can use the formula Un = Un+1 * (cos(n+1) / cos(n)), where n is the angle of the sequence. This formula is derived from the ratio of the respective trigonometric functions of the angles.

3. Is finding Un out of Un+1 in a trigonometric sequence difficult?

It can be challenging to find Un out of Un+1 in a trigonometric sequence, especially if the sequence is complex. It requires knowledge of trigonometric functions and their properties, as well as algebraic manipulation skills. However, with practice and understanding of the concepts, it can become easier.

4. What is the purpose of finding Un out of Un+1 in a trigonometric sequence?

Finding Un out of Un+1 in a trigonometric sequence can help determine the general term or formula for the sequence, which can be useful in solving problems or making predictions based on the sequence. It can also help identify patterns and relationships between the terms in the sequence.

5. Can you give an example of a trigonometric sequence and how to find Un out of Un+1?

Sure, an example of a trigonometric sequence is Un = sin(n), where n is the angle in degrees. To find Un out of Un+1, let's say we want to find the value of U3. Using the formula Un = Un+1 * (cos(n+1) / cos(n)), we get U3 = U4 * (cos(4) / cos(3)). If U4 = 0.5, then U3 = 0.5 * (cos(4) / cos(3)) ≈ 0.4763.