Trigonometric Simplification for Projectile Motion Equation

In summary, the conversation revolved around a trigonometric formula that the speaker had been stuck on for more than 5 years. They had an equation with respect to f and had partially lost notes that simplified it using a CAS into a new equation. The question was whether this new equation was true and what tricks were used to simplify it. Theia provided a detailed summary of the manipulations that were used to simplify the equation. The speaker expressed their gratitude and shared that this equation was part of their study on projectile motion under gravity.
Theia
Hi!

Long ago (more than 5 years now, actually) I got stuck with a trigonometrig formula and I haven't been able to got the point. I had an equation (with respect to \(\displaystyle f\)):

\(\displaystyle (r - a)L^2 + r\tan \alpha \cos f \cdot L + a\tan^2 \alpha = 0\),

where

\(\displaystyle L = \sin f - \tan \alpha \cos f\).

According to my partially lost notes, some CAS has been simplified this into

\(\displaystyle \tfrac{1}{2} \sec ^2 \alpha \sin f [(2a - r)\sin (2\alpha - f) + r\sin f] = 0\).

Now I'd like to ask you, is this true at all? And if it is true, what tricks(?) were used? Thank you so much! ^^

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Theia said:
Hi!

Long ago (more than 5 years now, actually) I got stuck with a trigonometrig formula and I haven't been able to got the point. I had an equation (with respect to \(\displaystyle f\)):

\(\displaystyle (r - a)L^2 + r\tan \alpha \cos f \cdot L + a\tan^2 \alpha = 0\),

where

\(\displaystyle L = \sin f - \tan \alpha \cos f\).

According to my partially lost notes, some CAS has been simplified this into

\(\displaystyle \tfrac{1}{2} \sec ^2 \alpha \sin f [(2a - r)\sin (2\alpha - f) + r\sin f] = 0\).

Now I'd like to ask you, is this true at all? And if it is true, what tricks(?) were used? Thank you so much! ^^

Hey Theia! ;)

Let's see...
$$(r - a)(\sin f - \tan α \cos f)^2 + r\tan α \cos f \cdot (\sin f - \tan α \cos f) + a\tan^2 α = 0 \\
(r-a)(\sin^2 f - 2\tan α \sin f\cos f + \tan^2α \cos^2 f) + r\tan α \cos f \sin f - r\tan^2 α \cos^2 f + a\tan^2 α = 0 \\
(2a-r)\tan α \cos f \sin f + a(-\sin^2 f - \tan^2α \cos^2 f + \tan^2 α)+ r\sin^2 f = 0 \\
(2a-r)\tan α \cos f \sin f + a(-\sin^2 f + \tan^2 α(1 - \cos^2 f )) + r\sin^2 f = 0 \\
(2a-r)\tan α \cos f \sin f - a (1 - \tan^2 α)\sin^2 f + r\sin^2 f = 0 \\
\frac 12 \sec^2 α \sin f\Big[(2a-r)2\sin α \cos α\cos f - 2a (\cos^2 α - \sin^2 α)\sin f + 2r\cos^2 α\sin f \Big] = 0 \\
\frac 12 \sec^2 α \sin f\Big[(2a-r)(2\sin α \cos α\cos f - (\cos^2 α - \sin^2 α)\sin f) - r (\cos^2 α - \sin^2 α)\sin f + 2r\cos^2 α\sin f \Big] = 0 \\
\frac 12 \sec^2 α \sin f\Big[(2a-r)(\sin 2α \cos f - \cos 2α\sin f) + r (\cos^2 α + \sin^2 α)\sin f \Big] = 0 \\
\frac 12 \sec^2 α \sin f\Big[(2a-r)\sin(2α - f) + r \sin f \Big] = 0 \\
\sin f = 0 \quad\vee\quad (2a-r)\sin(2α - f) + r \sin f = 0 \\
$$
The "tricks" that we've used are:
$$
\cos^2 α + \sin^2 α = 1 \\
\sin 2α = 2\sin α\cos α \\
\cos 2α = \cos^2 α - \sin^2 α \\
\sin(α-β)=\sin α\cos β - \cos α \sin β
$$

Wow! Thank you so much! It looks like the key was some not so obvious manipulations to the equation. *wonders why it is so difficult to add 0 sometimes... :D *

As a side note, this equation was part of my study how to describe projectile motion under Newtonian \(\displaystyle -\gamma \tfrac{Mm}{r^2}\) gravity (e.g. on Moon) without messing too much with celestial mechanics. Everything else went smoothly, except this simplification... But once the numerics worked, I didn't pay attention to it until now. :D Thank you again!

FAQ: Trigonometric Simplification for Projectile Motion Equation

1. What is trigonometric simplification?

Trigonometric simplification is the process of rewriting a trigonometric expression in a simpler form. This involves using trigonometric identities and properties to reduce the complexity of the expression.

2. Why is trigonometric simplification important?

Trigonometric simplification is important because it allows us to solve complex trigonometric equations and expressions more easily. It also helps us to see the underlying relationships between different trigonometric functions.

3. How do I simplify a trigonometric expression?

To simplify a trigonometric expression, you can use various trigonometric identities and properties such as the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and sum and difference identities. These can help you rewrite the expression in a simpler form.

4. Can I use a calculator to simplify trigonometric expressions?

While calculators can often simplify basic trigonometric expressions, they may not always give the most simplified form. It is important to understand the concepts of trigonometric simplification and use them to manually simplify expressions for more accuracy.

5. How do I know if I have simplified a trigonometric expression correctly?

You can check if you have simplified a trigonometric expression correctly by substituting known values for the variables and comparing the original expression to the simplified one. They should give the same result. You can also use trigonometric identities to verify your simplification process.