Trigonometry - half angles problems

In summary, x = 2 times (x/2). If the first part read cos(2z) in terms of sin(z), what would your answer be? Then substitute z for x/2 in the second question.
paul18

Homework Statement

Previous part of the question I have solved:
Express cos(2x) in terms of sin(x):

I got this answer:
cos(2x)=1-2sin2(x)

Hence or otherwise solve the equation
cos(x) + 3sin(x/2) = 2

Homework Equations

Double angle formulae:
cos(2x)=cos(2x) - sin(2x)
sin(2x)=2sin(x)cos(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

So basically I'm doing revision on trig, and I know I've come across this problem before, where you are presented with a full angle and a half angle, but I have failed to find an example. It's something to do with halving a double angle formula I think but I can't even start it. How do I get rid of the half angle? I know I should show an attempt, but I can't even start it off. Just a refresher on how to remove half angles would be great thanks :)
(Yes i have read the rules but this problem is difficult to put into that format properly)

Physics news on Phys.org
paul18 said:

Homework Statement

I got this answer:
cos(2x)=1-2sin2(x)

cos(x) + 3sin(x/2) = 2

Homework Equations

Double angle formulae:
sin(2x)=2sin(x)cos(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

So basically I'm doing revision on trig, and I know I've come across this problem before, where you are presented with a full angle and a half angle, but I have failed to find an example. It's something to do with halving a double angle formula I think but I can't even start it. How do I get rid of the half angle? I know I should show an attempt, but I can't even start it off. Just a refresher on how to remove half angles would be great thanks :)
(Yes i have read the rules but this problem is difficult to put into that format properly)

If the first part read cos(2z) in terms of sin(z), what would your answer be? Then substitute z for x/2 in the second question

paul18 said:

Homework Statement

I got this answer:
cos(2x)=1-2sin2(x)

cos(x) + 3sin(x/2) = 2

Homework Equations

Double angle formulae:
sin(2x)=2sin(x)cos(x)

Note that x = 2 times (x/2). It may be helpful if you substitute another variable, say y, in for x/2. What would x equal? What does this equation:
cos(x) + 3sin(x/2) = 2
look like with the substitutions?

eumyang said:
Note that x = 2 times (x/2). It may be helpful if you substitute another variable, say y, in for x/2. What would x equal? What does this equation:
cos(x) + 3sin(x/2) = 2
look like with the substitutions?

cos(2y) + 3sin(y) = 2.
Thanks very much that's what I needed a refresher on :)

FAQ: Trigonometry - half angles problems

1. What are half angles in trigonometry?

Half angles in trigonometry refer to angles that are exactly half the measure of a given angle. In other words, if the measure of an angle is x degrees, then its half angle would be x/2 degrees.

2. How do you find the half angle of a given angle?

To find the half angle of a given angle, you can use the half angle formulas, which are variations of the double angle formulas. For example, if the given angle is θ, then the half angle can be found using the formula sin(θ/2) = ±√[(1-cosθ)/2]. The ± sign depends on the quadrant in which the original angle lies.

3. Can you solve trigonometry problems involving half angles without using formulas?

Yes, it is possible to solve trigonometry problems involving half angles without using formulas. This can be done by using the relationships between the sides and angles of right triangles, as well as the Pythagorean theorem. However, using the half angle formulas can make the process much quicker and more efficient.

4. How are half angles used in real life?

Half angles are used in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and geometry. They are particularly useful in solving problems involving angles that are difficult to measure directly, such as in navigation, surveying, and satellite communication.

5. Are there any special cases when dealing with half angles?

Yes, there are special cases when dealing with half angles. One common special case is when the given angle is a multiple of 180 degrees, in which case the half angle would be 0 degrees. Another special case is when the given angle is a multiple of 90 degrees, in which case the half angle would be either 0 degrees or 45 degrees, depending on the quadrant in which the original angle lies.