Trigonometry homework: find area of triangle with known lengths

In summary, to find angle BDC and side BC when given AB = 60m, BAC = 64, AC = 124, BD = 130, and CD = 145, you can use the cosine rule to calculate BC as 111.59 and angle BDC as 59 degrees. To find the area of the whole plot, you can use the lengths of the three sides of triangle BCD to find its area, then add it to the area of triangle ABC to get the total area of the quadrilateral. To find AD, you can use trigonometric functions and the cosine law to solve for its length. Another method is to find the angle ACD using the difference between BCD and BCA
Tommzar

Homework Statement

i need to find angle BDC and side BC when given that

AB = 60m
BAC = 64
AC = 124
BD = 130
CD = 145

and to find the area of the whole plot

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i have worked out side BC = 111.59 by using the Co-sine rule
a^2 = (60^2 + 124^2) - (2*60*124cos64)
=111.59

and angle BDC = cosC = (145^2) + (130^2) - (111.59^2) = 25472.6719

25472.6719/ (2x 145 x 130)

= 0.675
[PLAIN]http://mathworld.wolfram.com/images/equations/InverseCosine/Inline1.gif0.675[/URL] = 47.49

just need help on finding side AD and other internal angles

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Strictly speaking, BC is a diagonal, not a side- that puzzled me for a moment. Likewise AD is a diagonal not a side and I don't believe you need to find its length to find the area. Look at triangle BCD now. You know the lengths of the three sides so you can find one angle using the cosine law, then find the other angles using the sine or cosine laws. Once you have the two triangles, you can find the area of each triangle, then add to find the area of the quadrilateral. Use BC as base of each triangle and use trig functions on the appropriate right triangles to find the height.

i have worked out angle BCD as being 59 degrees

and worked out the area of triangle BCD as having an area of 6946m^2

just trying to find the side AD is puzzling me

In triangle ACB, AB/ sinACB = BC/sin BAC. Find angle BCA.
Angle ACD = BCD - BCA. Knowing AC, DC angle ACD you can find AD.

im still strugling on this i did forget to mention that it is a quadralateral plot of land

Tommzar said:
im still strugling on this i did forget to mention that it is a quadralateral plot of land

Hello Tommzar! :smile:

You need to find the are of the quadrilateral ABCD, right?

Just find the area of the triangles ABC and ACD mate and find the sum ABC+ACD.

1242=602+AD2-2*60*ADcos(BAC+CAD)
1452=1302+AD2-2*130*ADcos(CAD)

Then use, [itex]\cos(\alpha \pm \beta) = \cos \alpha \cos \beta \mp \sin \alpha \sin \beta\,[/itex],

and [itex]\pm\sqrt{1 - \cos^2 \theta}\ [/itex]

I know it is pretty complicated, but it is worth trying. :frown:

Good luck, mate! :-p

Edit: Another very good method to find AD, is finding the angle ACD=BCD-BCA and using the cosine law:
AD2=1302+1452-2*130*145*cos(ACD).

Last edited:

FAQ: Trigonometry homework: find area of triangle with known lengths

What is Trigonometry and why is it important?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is important because it has many real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and navigation.

How do I find the area of a triangle with known lengths using Trigonometry?

To find the area of a triangle with known lengths, you can use the formula A = 1/2 * base * height. The base and height can be found using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

What are the most common trigonometric functions used in finding the area of a triangle?

The most commonly used trigonometric functions for finding the area of a triangle are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions relate the angles of a triangle to its sides.

Can I use Trigonometry to find the area of any type of triangle?

Yes, Trigonometry can be used to find the area of any type of triangle, including equilateral, isosceles, and scalene triangles. However, the methods used may vary depending on the type of triangle.

Are there any practical applications for finding the area of a triangle with known lengths?

Yes, there are many practical applications for finding the area of a triangle with known lengths using Trigonometry. For example, it can be used in construction to determine the amount of material needed for a triangular roof or in navigation to calculate distances and angles between objects.