Trigonometry problem involving cylinders.

In summary: You know the two angles at the top of the trapezoid so you can get the angle at the third vertex and use that to find the arc length.
coderot

Homework Statement

Three cylinders are placed in contact with one another with their axes parallel.
The radii of the cylinders are 3, 4 and 5 cm. An elastic band is stretched around
the three cylinders so that the plane of the band is perpendicular to the axes of
the cylinder. Calculate the length of band that is in contact with the largest
cylinder.

Homework Equations

Sine and Cosine Rules. Properties of circles i.e. arc length and area sector etc. I've also attached an image of what I think this problem looks like.

The Attempt at a Solution

I started this by solving the triangle using the cosine and sine rules. This gave me the following angles: A = 48.2, B = 58.4 and C = 73.4. Note: answers given in degrees.

Now I don't know how to proceed.

Attachments

• cylinder.PNG
    cylinder.PNG
    1.4 KB · Views: 545
Physics news on Phys.org
coderot said:

Homework Statement

Three cylinders are placed in contact with one another with their axes parallel.
The radii of the cylinders are 3, 4 and 5 cm. An elastic band is stretched around
the three cylinders so that the plane of the band is perpendicular to the axes of
the cylinder. Calculate the length of band that is in contact with the largest
cylinder.

Homework Equations

Sine and Cosine Rules. Properties of circles i.e. arc length and area sector etc. I've also attached an image of what I think this problem looks like.

The Attempt at a Solution

I started this by solving the triangle using the cosine and sine rules. This gave me the following angles: A = 48.2, B = 58.4 and C = 73.4. Note: answers given in degrees.

Now I don't know how to proceed.

You don't need to know any trig functions. Remember the radius is perpendicular to its tangent line at the point of tangency. If you draw a line between centers of two of those circles and the two radii to the tangent between them you get a trapezoid with 3 sides known and two right angles. The tangent is the 4th side and you can get its length with the pythagorean theorem.

[Edit] Reading too quickly I thought you wanted the part not in contact with the cylinders. More later...

[Edit2] If you draw a parallel to the tangent line but passing through the nearest center, you can read the other angles you need off the triangle it forms at the top of the trapezoid.

Last edited:
Okay,

Used your second edit I produced the diagram attached. This got me the correct solution. Thankyou. :)

However I had to use trigonometry to get there. I essentially worked out the other two angles (using trig) around A, added these to angle A, and then subtracted this from 360. It was then a case of finding the arc length. You mentioned that I wouldn't have needed any trig. Would you care to explain how you could have got the same result as me? (I got 13.32cm btw).

Thanks again.

Attachments

• cylinder.PNG
    cylinder.PNG
    1.6 KB · Views: 592
coderot said:
Okay,

Used your second edit I produced the diagram attached. This got me the correct solution. Thankyou. :)

However I had to use trigonometry to get there. I essentially worked out the other two angles (using trig) around A, added these to angle A, and then subtracted this from 360. It was then a case of finding the arc length. You mentioned that I wouldn't have needed any trig. Would you care to explain how you could have got the same result as me? (I got 13.32cm btw).

That was when I thought the problem was to get the length that wasn't touching the cylinders. You just didn't need trig for that part. What you have done looks like what I meant in the second hint.

Related to Trigonometry problem involving cylinders.

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a cylinder?

The formula for finding the volume of a cylinder is V = πr²h, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cylinder.

2. How do you find the lateral surface area of a cylinder?

The formula for finding the lateral surface area of a cylinder is L = 2πrh, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cylinder.

3. Can you use trigonometry to solve problems involving cylinders?

Yes, trigonometry can be used to solve problems involving cylinders, especially in finding the measurements of the base and height using angles and side lengths.

4. How do you find the slant height of a cylinder?

The slant height of a cylinder can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, where the slant height is the hypotenuse of a right triangle formed by the height and the radius of the base.

5. What is the relationship between the radius of a cylinder and its volume?

The radius of a cylinder directly affects its volume, as shown in the formula V = πr²h. This means that as the radius increases, the volume also increases. Similarly, if the radius decreases, the volume decreases as well.