Trigonometry Word Problem involving Inverse trigonometric functions

In summary, the problem involves a ship located d feet away from a dock that is 40 feet above sea level. The angle of depression from the dock to the ship is represented by θ. The task is to write θ as a function of d, with choices given. The solution is found by using the definitions of sine, tangent, and other trigonometric functions, and the correct answer is choice B.
acen_gr

Homework Statement

A ship is d feet from a dock (horizontal distance). The dock is 40 feet above sea level. The angle of depression from the dock to the ship is θ. Write θ as a function of d.

Homework Equations

This question is accompanied with choices. The choices are
[tex](A) θ = 40arctan(d)[/tex]
[tex](B) θ = arctan(\frac{40}{d})[/tex]
[tex](C) θ = arcsin(\frac{d}{60})[/tex]
[tex](D) θ = \frac{arctan(d)}{40}[/tex]
[tex](E) none of these[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I would like to know if my graphical representation of this problem is correct.
s30opz.png

Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the definitions of "sine", "tangent", etc.? If not, look them up. Once you know them you will see that this problem is trivial.

It is a very nice (and correct) drawing, with a very big ship.:smile:

ehild

HallsofIvy said:
Do you know the definitions of "sine", "tangent", etc.? If not, look them up. Once you know them you will see that this problem is trivial.
ehild said:
It is a very nice (and correct) drawing, with a very big ship.:smile:

ehild

Ok sir so if my interpretation of the problem is right, then it would be right if I answer choice B right? Thank you! :smile:

acen_gr said:
Ok sir so if my interpretation of the problem is right, then it would be right if I answer choice B right? Thank you! :smile:

YES!

ehild

ehild said:
YES!

ehild

Yes! I made it right. I just wonder if my understanding was right because I'm not from an English-based country so some phrasing are not clear to me. Thank you everyone! :biggrin:

FAQ: Trigonometry Word Problem involving Inverse trigonometric functions

1. What is a trigonometry word problem involving inverse trigonometric functions?

A trigonometry word problem involving inverse trigonometric functions is a problem that requires the use of inverse trigonometric functions, such as sine inverse, cosine inverse, or tangent inverse, to solve for missing angles or sides of a right triangle.

2. How do you solve a trigonometry word problem involving inverse trigonometric functions?

To solve a trigonometry word problem involving inverse trigonometric functions, you must first identify the given information and the unknown information. Then, you can use the inverse trigonometric function that corresponds to the given information to find the unknown angle or side. Finally, you can use basic trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, to solve for the remaining unknowns.

3. What are some common strategies for solving trigonometry word problems involving inverse trigonometric functions?

Some common strategies for solving trigonometry word problems involving inverse trigonometric functions include drawing a diagram, setting up a right triangle, using the Pythagorean theorem, and applying the appropriate inverse trigonometric function to solve for the unknown angle or side.

4. What are some real-world applications of trigonometry word problems involving inverse trigonometric functions?

Trigonometry word problems involving inverse trigonometric functions have many real-world applications, such as calculating the height of a building using the angle of elevation, determining the distance between two ships using the angle of depression, and finding the angle of inclination of a ramp for accessibility purposes.

5. How can I check my answers when solving a trigonometry word problem involving inverse trigonometric functions?

You can check your answers by substituting your values into the original problem and seeing if they satisfy the given conditions. You can also use a calculator to verify your answers by entering the inverse trigonometric function and the given value to see if it returns the correct angle or side.

Back