Triple integral & cylindrical coordinates

In summary: This allows us to use these types of substitutions without changing the overall shape of the region. As for the range of θ, it is dependent on the shape of the region and may vary depending on the problem. In this case, θ ranges from 0 to 2π since the region is symmetric around the z-axis.
Kuma

Homework Statement

When you are doing a triple integral and convert it to cylindrical co ordinates, how do you find the new ranges of integration?

I understand the new range of z, if z is between f(x,y) and g(x,y), you just sub in
x = r cos θ and y = r sin θ to find the new functions. But how do I find the range for r and θ? I'm lost there.

Here is a question i was working on and the solution is a bit confusing.

Find the volume of the solid bounded by the paraboloid z = 4x^2 +y^2 and the cylinder
y^2 + z = 2.

So the solution, they replace x = r cos θ / root 2 and y = r sin θ. I'm confused why not just use x = r cos θ? and the range for r is from 0 to 1 and for θ its between 0 and 2pi.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show, or explain completely, the triple integral which is given as the solution?

Here is the portion of the solution where they derive the integral.

Gtca7.png

Find the equation x and y satisfy where the two surfaces intersect. From that, you might be able to see why x was rescaled the way it was in the solution.

Kuma said:

Homework Statement

When you are doing a triple integral and convert it to cylindrical co ordinates, how do you find the new ranges of integration?

I understand the new range of z, if z is between f(x,y) and g(x,y), you just sub in
x = r cos θ and y = r sin θ to find the new functions. But how do I find the range for r and θ? I'm lost there.

Here is a question i was working on and the solution is a bit confusing.

Find the volume of the solid bounded by the paraboloid z = 4x^2 +y^2 and the cylinder
y^2 + z = 2.

So the solution, they replace x = r cos θ / root 2 and y = r sin θ. I'm confused why not just use x = r cos θ? and the range for r is from 0 to 1 and for θ its between 0 and 2pi.

Why does their solution "replace x = r cos θ / root 2 and y = r sin θ" ?

It's as if they first rescale x: Letting x' = (√2)x. Note: x' is not a derivative.

Then x' = r cos(θ) and y = r sin(θ) .

The reason they did this is explained in vela's post.

Thanks.

vela said:
Find the equation x and y satisfy where the two surfaces intersect. From that, you might be able to see why x was rescaled the way it was in the solution.

So its 4x^2 + 2y^2 < 2

But I still don't understand? How would you know to rescale it by multiplying it by 1/sqrt 2?
What does this rescaling do? I'm still a bit lost.

And how do I find the ranges for r and theta?
Does θ vary based on the quadrant or what?

Kuma said:
Thanks.

So its 4x^2 + 2y^2 < 2

But I still don't understand? How would you know to rescale it by multiplying it by 1/sqrt 2?
What does this rescaling do? I'm still a bit lost.

And how do I find the ranges for r and theta?
Does θ vary based on the quadrant or what?
Can you identify what geometric figure the equation 4x2 + 2y2 = 2 describes?

Suppose x' = (√2)x, i.e. x = x'/√2 . Substitute that into this equation. What figure is now described by the result?

SammyS said:
Can you identify what geometric figure the equation 4x2 + 2y2 = 2 describes?

Suppose x' = (√2)x, i.e. x = x'/√2 . Substitute that into this equation. What figure is now described by the result?

It's a circle with r = 1, which I guess is how you get the range of r; with that substitution rather than an ellipse. I wasn't aware you are allowed to just make arbitrary substitutions like that to change the shape.

Kuma said:
It's a circle with r = 1, which I guess is how you get the range of r; with that substitution rather than an ellipse. I wasn't aware you are allowed to just make arbitrary substitutions like that to change the shape.

The Jacobian takes makes up for the distortion that would be caused by the change of coordinates.

Related to Triple integral & cylindrical coordinates

1. What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is a mathematical concept used in calculus to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional shape. It involves solving three nested integrals, with each integral representing a different variable.

2. How is a triple integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral deals with two variables, while a triple integral deals with three variables. This means that a triple integral calculates the volume of a three-dimensional shape, while a regular integral calculates the area under a curve.

3. What are cylindrical coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates are a way of representing points in three-dimensional space using a distance from the origin, an angle from the positive x-axis, and a height from the xy-plane. This coordinate system is useful for solving problems involving cylindrical or circular shapes.

4. How do you convert from rectangular to cylindrical coordinates?

To convert from rectangular coordinates (x, y, z) to cylindrical coordinates (r, θ, z), you can use the following equations: r = √(x² + y²), θ = arctan(y/x), and z = z. This will give you the distance from the origin, the angle from the positive x-axis, and the height from the xy-plane, respectively.

5. What are some real-world applications of triple integrals and cylindrical coordinates?

Triple integrals and cylindrical coordinates are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to calculate the volume of complex three-dimensional shapes. They can also be used to solve problems involving fluid flow, heat transfer, and electromagnetic fields. Additionally, they can be used to model and analyze cylindrical structures, such as pipes or cylinders.