Triple integral doubt, spherical coordinates

In summary, the exercise requires finding the volume of a region defined by the first octant under the sphere x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 16 and inside the cylinder x^2 + y^2 = 4x. The appropriate coordinates to use are cylindrical coordinates, with the region bounded by 0 ≤ ρ ≤ 4cosθ, 0 ≤ θ ≤ π/2, and 0 ≤ z ≤ √(16 − ρ2). The integral to use is:\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_0^{4\cos{\theta}}\int_0^{\sqrt{16-\rho^2}} \rho dz d\rho
Telemachus
Hi there. I have some doubts about this exercise. It asks me to use the appropriated coordinates to find the volume of the region indicated below. The region is determined by the first octant under the sphere [tex]x^2+ y^2+ z^2=16[/tex] and inside the cylinder [tex]x^2 +y^2=4x[/tex]
The first thing I did was to complete the square with the cylinder: [tex](x-2)^2 +y^2=4[/tex]
And then I thought of using spherical coordinates, this way:

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{0}^{\displaystyle\frac{\pi}{2}}\displaystyle\int_{0}^{\displaystyle\frac{\pi}{4}}\displaystyle\int_{0}^{\sec(\theta)}\rho^2 \sin \phi d\rho d\theta d\phi + \displaystyle\int_{0}^{\displaystyle\frac{\pi}{2}}\displaystyle\int_{0}^{\displaystyle\frac{\pi}{4}}\displaystyle\int_{\sec(\theta)}^{4\cos\theta}\rho^2 \sin \phi d\rho d\theta d\phi[/tex]

Is this okay?

Bye there, thanks for anyhelp.

Edit: mm, now I see it isn't. Unless I think its not, because it doesn't defines the region under the sphere. I think I should use cylindrical coordinates.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's right, you should use cylindrical coordinates. The region is bounded by the sphere x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 16 and the cylinder x^2 + y^2 = 4x, so you need to integrate over the region defined by 0 ≤ ρ ≤ 4cosθ and 0 ≤ θ ≤ π/2 and 0 ≤ z ≤ √(16 − ρ2). To do this, you can use the following integral:\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_0^{4\cos{\theta}}\int_0^{\sqrt{16-\rho^2}} \rho dz d\rho d\theta

Related to Triple integral doubt, spherical coordinates

What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is an integral that involves three variables and represents the volume of a three-dimensional region. It is used in calculus and mathematics to find the volume of irregular shapes in three-dimensional space.

What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a system of coordinates used to locate points in three-dimensional space. They use a combination of radial distance, azimuth (angle from the positive x-axis), and inclination (angle from the positive z-axis) to define a point in space.

How do you convert from rectangular coordinates to spherical coordinates?

To convert from rectangular coordinates (x, y, z) to spherical coordinates (r, θ, φ), you can use the following equations:

• r = √(x² + y² + z²)
  • θ = arctan(y/x)
  • φ = arccos(z/r)

How do you set up a triple integral in spherical coordinates?

To set up a triple integral in spherical coordinates, you need to define the limits of integration for each variable. The radial distance, r, will typically have limits from 0 to some value, the azimuth angle, θ, will have limits from 0 to 2π, and the inclination angle, φ, will have limits from 0 to π.

What are some common applications of triple integrals in spherical coordinates?

Triple integrals in spherical coordinates are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the mass, center of mass, and moment of inertia of three-dimensional objects. They are also used in electromagnetism to calculate electric and magnetic fields in spherical symmetry.