Triple integral in cylindrical coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a solid between two surfaces, using cylindrical coordinates to set up the integral, and determining the range of r and z for the integral. The final solution involves setting r from 0 to 1 and z from r^2 to √(2-r^2).
Locoism

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid that lies between

z=x2+y2 and
x2+y2+z2=2

Homework Equations

z=r2
z=√(2-r2)

The Attempt at a Solution

So changing this into cylindrical coordinates, I get

z goes from r2 to √(2-r2)
r goes from 0 to √2
theta goes from 0 to 2π

so we get [itex] \int_0^{2π} \int_0^{\sqrt{2}} \int_{r^2}^{\sqrt{2-r^2}} r dzdrdt[/itex]

I dunno... something feels off about this. I think this way it would take into account the negative area on the outside of the curve... How else could I set up the integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
Locoism said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid that lies between

z=x2+y2 and
x2+y2+z2=2

Homework Equations

z=r2
z=√(2-r2)

The Attempt at a Solution

So changing this into cylindrical coordinates, I get

z goes from r2 to √(2-r2)
r goes from 0 to √2
theta goes from 0 to 2π

so we get [itex] \int_0^{2π} \int_0^{\sqrt{2}} \int_{r^2}^{\sqrt{2-r^2}} r dzdrdt[/itex]

I dunno... something feels off about this. I think this way it would take into account the negative area on the outside of the curve... How else could I set up the integral?

I would reconsider your statement that r goes from 0 to sqrt(2).

Dick said:
I would reconsider your statement that r goes from 0 to sqrt(2).

How so? I was thinking of splitting it into 2 parts and having it go from 0 to the function in terms of z, but then I would have to integrate r first, and I run into the same problem...

ie: z from r^2 to 1, then from 1 to √(2-r^2), and r from 0 to √z and then from 0 to √(2-z^2)...

Is there a way to write it in terms of theta?

Locoism said:
How so? I was thinking of splitting it into 2 parts and having it go from 0 to the function in terms of z, but then I would have to integrate r first, and I run into the same problem...

ie: z from r^2 to 1, then from 1 to √(2-r^2), and r from 0 to √z and then from 0 to √(2-z^2)...

Is there a way to write it in terms of theta?

The integral you have is fine. Except that the range of r is off. r^2 is x^2+y^2, not x^2+y^2+z^2. You need to figure out the value of r where r^2=z and r^2+z^2=2 intersect.

Awesome, r from 0 to 1, and z from r^2 to √(2-r^2).
Thank you so much, I see it perfectly now.

FAQ: Triple integral in cylindrical coordinates

What is a triple integral in cylindrical coordinates?

A triple integral in cylindrical coordinates is a type of integration that involves three variables - radius, angle, and height - to solve for the volume of a three-dimensional object. It is commonly used in mathematics and physics to model rotational symmetry.

How do you set up a triple integral in cylindrical coordinates?

To set up a triple integral in cylindrical coordinates, you first need to identify the bounds of integration for each variable. The radius is typically bounded by two values, the angle is bounded by two angles, and the height is bounded by two functions of radius. Then, you can write the triple integral as ∫∫∫f(r,θ,z) rdrdθdz.

What is the difference between a triple integral in cylindrical coordinates and a triple integral in rectangular coordinates?

The main difference between a triple integral in cylindrical coordinates and a triple integral in rectangular coordinates is the coordinate system used. In cylindrical coordinates, the variables are radius, angle, and height, while in rectangular coordinates, the variables are x, y, and z. Cylindrical coordinates are useful for solving problems with rotational symmetry, while rectangular coordinates are more commonly used for general three-dimensional shapes.

How do you convert a triple integral from cylindrical coordinates to rectangular coordinates?

To convert a triple integral from cylindrical coordinates to rectangular coordinates, you can use the following formulas: x = rcosθ, y = rsinθ, and z = z. These formulas will replace the cylindrical variables with rectangular variables, allowing you to solve the integral using rectangular coordinates.

What are some real-world applications of triple integrals in cylindrical coordinates?

Triple integrals in cylindrical coordinates have many real-world applications, including calculating the volume of objects with rotational symmetry such as cylinders, cones, and spheres. They are also used in physics to model the distribution of electric charge and magnetic fields. Additionally, they are used in fluid dynamics to determine fluid flow through pipes and channels.

Back