Tritium: Exploring Its Benefits and Risks

• Thread starter Gerenuk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tritium
In summary, the conversation revolves around the usage, cost, and safety of real tritium in luminescent products such as glow sticks and clocks. It is confirmed that tritium is used in such applications and is both radioactive and expensive. The comparison is made to natural sources of radioactivity and the main concern is the amount of energy emitted and the safety of the product. It is mentioned that the energy from the beta radiation is converted to light, making it visible, but the exact amount of tritium in each vial is unknown. Overall, the conversation is focused on the technical aspects and potential concerns surrounding the use of tritium in these products.
Gerenuk
Is this real tritium in there? Is tritium expensive? Is it radioactive? How does it compare to natural sources of radioactivity?

http://www.time4tritium.com/benefits.cfm

Physics news on Phys.org
It won't be surprising if it was real tritium, it is used in such applications. You can buy small tritium powered glow sticks on eBay.

Yes, it is radioactive, it decays by beta decay, emitting an electron. From what I remember energy of the electron is too low to get outside of the vial or (in this case) clock, it is stopped by thin paper.

Edit - that's what I meant:

http://thecoolgadgets.com/nite-glowring-tritium-glow-ring/

Oh, thanks for the technology update :)

And there is no chance that the beta radiation will ionize something which itself will emit radiation which can leave the vial?

And what about the Bremsstrahlung?

I'd like to see comparison pictures of the vials when they are 10 years old. I know they say that they are good for a quarter of a century but tritium's half-live is like 12.5 years or so. On my Speedmaster, after 12 years, the tritium is worthless. I would imagine they would really have to pack in the tritium or have found a much more efficient means of luminescing.

Gerenuk said:
And there is no chance that the beta radiation will ionize something which itself will emit radiation which can leave the vial?

Actually - that's how it works. Energy from the beta radiation is converted to light which leaves the vial.

I suppose your main question/concern here is how safe these things are and how does the amount of energy they can emit compare to that from natural sources. No idea. First thing to check would be to find out how much tritium each vial contains.

Electron from the decay has energy in the keV range, that is converted to visible light - eV range. One decaying atom gives enough energy to emit thousands of visible light photons (probably much less in reality), so even such a single event should be easily visible and several per sec could give the impression of continuous light.

But I am just guessing here.

Related to Tritium: Exploring Its Benefits and Risks

1. What is Tritium?

Tritium is a radioactive isotope of hydrogen with one proton and two neutrons in its nucleus. It is naturally produced in small amounts in the Earth's atmosphere and is also used in nuclear reactors and weapons.

2. What are the benefits of Tritium?

Tritium has several important uses, including as a fuel for nuclear fusion reactions, a tracer in medical and biological research, and a component in self-powered lighting devices. It is also used in the production of luminous paints, which are commonly used on watches and aircraft dials.

3. What are the risks associated with Tritium?

As a radioactive element, Tritium can pose health risks if it is inhaled, ingested, or absorbed through the skin. Exposure to high levels of Tritium can increase the risk of developing certain types of cancer. Additionally, if Tritium is released into the environment, it can contaminate water and food sources.

4. How is Tritium regulated?

The use and handling of Tritium is regulated by government agencies, such as the Environmental Protection Agency and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, to ensure that it is safely managed and disposed of. These regulations include strict guidelines for storage, transportation, and disposal of Tritium-containing materials.

5. What is being done to minimize the risks of Tritium?

Scientists and researchers are constantly studying ways to minimize the risks associated with Tritium. This includes developing new technologies for safe storage and disposal of Tritium, as well as implementing stricter regulations for its use. Additionally, public education and awareness campaigns are also important in promoting safe handling and management of Tritium.