Trouble downloading mathematica packages - probably a very quick solution

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter femtofranco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, your installation of Mathematica is not in place, and you are looking for a package that is not in the standard installation.
femtofranco
Hello, having usually used MatLab, I am just beginning to use Mathematica. I am having trouble locating packages, however. In particular, I'd like to download:

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/VectorAnalysis/tutorial/VectorAnalysis.html (Vector Analysis)

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/VariationalMethods/tutorial/VariationalMethods.html (Variational Methods)

Nonetheless, while I can find ample information about using the package on the website, I cannot actually find a download link. I am looking in the wrong place, or am I just oblivious? I honestly cannot find it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot be certain that your installation of Mathematica is all in place, but if it is then the standard packages should already be installed in the Mathematica directories and all you need to do is to pull them in at the beginning of your notebook session.

The url you show demonstrates this. For example

<<VectorAnalysis`

followed by <shift><enter> should be enough to pull in the VectorAnalysis package.

You can then do something like the second line

SetCoordinates[Parabolodial[w1,w2,w3]]

and you should get the same output that the url shows.

IF you are trying to pull in some package that someone else wrote and that you need to grab from the net and put where Mathematica can find it then the process is almost the same, you just need to put it into an appropriate directory or give Mathematica a path to where you put it, but for the two you show you should not need to do that extra step.

Hello, sorry about the delay, but I was trying your solution.

Unfortunately, when I enter <<VectorAnalysis into a notebook, followed by the shift and enter, it responds "Get::nopen : Cannot open VectorAnalysis." I have gone into the program files and cannot seem to find the VectorAnalysis package. I tried a reinstallation, but that did not work.

This is a pirated copy of mathematica, but no one else has voiced complaints (out of the 600+ seeders, 10 of which are my friends).

Last edited:

FAQ: Trouble downloading mathematica packages - probably a very quick solution

1. What is Mathematica and why do I need to download packages?

Mathematica is a software program used for mathematical and scientific calculations, data analysis, and visualization. Packages are collections of additional functions and tools that can be downloaded to enhance the capabilities of Mathematica.

2. Why am I having trouble downloading Mathematica packages?

There could be several reasons for this, such as a slow internet connection, server issues, or incorrect installation of Mathematica. It is also possible that the package you are trying to download is not compatible with your version of Mathematica.

3. How can I solve the problem of trouble downloading Mathematica packages?

First, make sure you have a stable internet connection. If the issue persists, try restarting Mathematica or your computer. You can also check the Mathematica website for any known server issues or updates. If none of these solutions work, you may need to contact technical support for further assistance.

4. Can I manually install Mathematica packages?

Yes, you can manually install packages by downloading the package file and placing it in the appropriate directory in your Mathematica installation. However, this method may be more complicated and may not work for all packages.

5. Are there any alternative methods for downloading Mathematica packages?

Yes, you can also use the built-in package manager in Mathematica to search for and install packages. This method is often more convenient and ensures that the package is compatible with your version of Mathematica.