Trouble finding the magnitude of a net force required.

In summary, the problem is to find the magnitude of the required net force for a rocket sled weighing 800 kg, which can be accelerated from rest to 1500 km/h in 2.1 seconds. The correct acceleration was calculated to be 416.7 m/s and the initial answer of 333360 N was incorrect. The significance of time was used to calculate velocity, but it was not used correctly. The mistake was corrected and the correct solution was found.
mcaustin
Here is the problem I have:
1. A 800 kg rocket sled can be accelerated at a constant rate from rest to 1500 km/h in 2.1 s. What is the magnitude of the required net force?

First I converted the a from 1500 km/h to 416.7 m/s
I then used F=ma but I got the result as 333360 N but this answer is incorrect. I'm not quite sure where to go from here and I don't know what the significance of time is. I used it to calculate velocity using v=at and got 875.07 m/s but I don't know how is should use it, if at all.

Thanks for any help anyone can give!

Physics news on Phys.org
I figured out my mistake!
I thought that 416.7 was acceleration but it is actually velocity.

FAQ: Trouble finding the magnitude of a net force required.

1. How do you calculate the magnitude of a net force?

The magnitude of a net force can be calculated by adding up all the individual forces acting on an object in a given direction.

2. What is the formula for finding the magnitude of a net force?

The formula for finding the magnitude of a net force is Fnet = ma, where Fnet is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

3. Can the magnitude of a net force be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of a net force can be negative. This means that the forces acting on an object are in opposite directions, resulting in a net force in the opposite direction.

4. How does the direction of forces affect the magnitude of a net force?

The direction of forces does not affect the magnitude of a net force. The magnitude is determined by the sum of the forces, regardless of their direction.

5. Why is it important to find the magnitude of a net force?

It is important to find the magnitude of a net force because it helps us understand the overall effect of all the forces acting on an object. This can be used to predict the motion of the object and determine if it will accelerate, decelerate, or remain in equilibrium.

Back