Trouble with a basic one-dimensional motion problem

In summary, the red and green cars, identical except for their color, are moving towards each other on adjacent lanes parallel to an x axis. At time t = 0, the red car is at position xr = 0 and the green car is at position xg = 220 m. If the red car has a constant velocity of 20 km/h, the cars pass each other at x = 44.5 m. If the red car has a constant velocity of 40 km/h, they pass each other at x = 76.6 m. The initial velocity of the green car is vo = -13.9 m/s and its constant acceleration is a = -2.0 m/s^2.
brizznook

Homework Statement

A red car and a green car, identical except for the
color, move toward each other in adjacent lanes and parallel to an x
axis. At time t 0, the red car is at xr 0 and the green car is at xg
220 m. If the red car has a constant velocity of 20 km/h, the cars pass
each other at x 44.5 m, and if it has a constant velocity of 40 km/h,
they pass each other at x 76.6 m.What are (a) the initial velocity
and (b) the constant acceleration of the green car?

Homework Equations

v=vo+at
x-xo=vot+(1/2)at2

The Attempt at a Solution

The only things I am able to obtain by myself are that the green car will be 175.5 m after 8 seconds and it will be at 143.4 m after 6.9 seconds. After that, all of the equations I know or can derive from the two shown will contain at least two variables. I have no idea where to go from there. I know the solutions (according to my solutions manual):

a. vo= -13.9 m/s
b. a = -2.0 m/s2

but I haven't the slightest of clue as to how to reach them. Math is not my strongest suit.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Case 1: red car v = 20: what is x(t) for the green car? for the red car?
When they meet at t = t1, x(green) = x(red) = 44.5

Case 2: red car v = 40: what is x(t) for the green car? Same as before?
for the red car? When they meet at t = t2, x = 76.6

4 equations, 4 unknowns: t1, t2, v_0 and a.

Hint: t1 = 44.5/20 and t2 = 76.6/40. Avoids quadratics!

FAQ: Trouble with a basic one-dimensional motion problem

1. What is the definition of one-dimensional motion?

One-dimensional motion refers to the movement of an object along a single axis or direction. This means that the object is only able to move forward or backward, left or right, or up or down.

2. What is a basic one-dimensional motion problem?

A basic one-dimensional motion problem involves determining the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object that is moving along a straight line. This type of problem can be solved using equations of motion, such as the equations of kinematics.

3. What are some common examples of one-dimensional motion?

Some common examples of one-dimensional motion include a car traveling on a straight road, a ball being thrown vertically into the air, and a pendulum swinging back and forth.

4. What are the key variables involved in solving a one-dimensional motion problem?

The key variables involved in solving a one-dimensional motion problem are position (x), velocity (v), and acceleration (a). These variables can be represented by their corresponding symbols in equations of motion, such as x for position, v for velocity, and a for acceleration.

5. How can I approach solving a basic one-dimensional motion problem?

To solve a basic one-dimensional motion problem, you can follow the steps of identifying the given information, determining the unknown variable, selecting the appropriate equation of motion, substituting the values into the equation, and solving for the unknown variable.