Trouble with mirror equations, .

• Thread starter x64bob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mirror
In summary, the problem presented is for a dentist who needs a small mirror that can produce a 4.5x upright image when placed 2.20cm away from a tooth. The calculations using mirror equations lead to a radius of -3.6cm for a concave mirror. However, the correct answer is 5.66cm, indicating that the mirror is concave. The equations used can also be applied to convex mirrors, with a negative radius indicating a convex mirror. A magnification of 2.0 means that the image is twice as long as the object, while a magnification of 0.5 means that the image is half as long as the object.
x64bob
heres the problem:
a dentist wants a small mirror that, when 2.20cm from a tooth, will produce a 4.5x upright image. what kind of mirror must be used and what must its radius of curvature be?

so i did the following calculations with the mirror equations i learned:

m=4.5

equation to get the di https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7885&stc=1&d=1159712057

4.5*(-2.20) = di di=-9.9

1/do+1/di=1/f

1/(-2.2) + 1/(-9.9) = 1/f

1/(-2.2)=(-0.454545455)
1/(-9.9)=(-0.101010101)

(-0.454545455)+(-0.101010101)=(-0.555555556)

1/(-0.555555556)=f

1/(-0.555555556)=(-1.8)

f=(-1.8)

f2 = r

-1.8 * 2 = -3.6

so the radius is -3.6 and i guess it is concave as only concave mirrors 1.0+ magnify? that's wrong as my book says the correct answer is 5.66cm, concave. what am i doing wrong:confused:

Attachments

• m=.bmp
    9.7 KB · Views: 1,709
Physics news on Phys.org
x64bob said:
1/do+1/di=1/f

1/(-2.2) + 1/(-9.9) = 1/f
The object distance should be +2.2, not -2.2.

ok, thanks alot. so doesn't "- di/2.2" mean that both di and 2.2 are negative values?

x64bob said:
so doesn't "- di/2.2" mean that both di and 2.2 are negative values?
Not sure what you mean. Think of it this way. You know that do is positive: do = +2.2 cm. The magnification is positive, since the image is upright: m = +4.5. Since m = -di/do, that tells you that di is negative: di = -m*do = -9.9 cm.

what about convex mirrors? can i use exactly the same equations for them? on my next task (m=0.33 do=20) i had to calculate the radius for this convex mirror and i got -19.7, so if - means that the image is inverted, and as far as i know convex ones don't generate inverted images, should i remove the - or something?

and does a magnification of 2.0 mean that the di is just twice as short as do while m0.5 means that di is twice as long as do?

x64bob said:
what about convex mirrors? can i use exactly the same equations for them?
The basic equations are the same.
on my next task (m=0.33 do=20) i had to calculate the radius for this convex mirror and i got -19.7, so if - means that the image is inverted, and as far as i know convex ones don't generate inverted images, should i remove the - or something?
A negative magnification means that the image is inverted, but a negative radius just means that the mirror is convex.

and does a magnification of 2.0 mean that the di is just twice as short as do while m0.5 means that di is twice as long as do?
No, just the opposite. Review the definition of magnification, given by the equation: m = -di/do

So a magnification of 2.0 means that di is twice as long as do.

FAQ: Trouble with mirror equations, .

1. What is the mirror equation?

The mirror equation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the object distance, image distance, and focal length of a curved mirror. It is expressed as: 1/o + 1/i = 1/f, where o is the distance of the object from the mirror, i is the distance of the image from the mirror, and f is the focal length of the mirror.

2. How do I use the mirror equation to solve problems?

To use the mirror equation, you need to know the values of two of the three variables (object distance, image distance, and focal length). Once you have these values, you can rearrange the equation to solve for the third variable. It is important to remember to use the correct units (usually meters) and to use the sign convention to indicate the direction of light rays.

3. What is the sign convention for mirror equations?

The sign convention for mirror equations is used to indicate the direction of light rays. When an object is placed in front of a concave mirror, the object distance is positive (+) and the image distance is negative (-). For a convex mirror, both the object distance and image distance are negative (-). The focal length is positive (+) for both types of mirrors.

4. Can the mirror equation be used for any type of mirror?

The mirror equation can only be used for curved mirrors, specifically concave and convex mirrors. It cannot be used for plane (flat) mirrors, as they do not have a focal length. Additionally, the mirror equation is most accurate for thin mirrors and small angles of incidence.

5. How does the mirror equation relate to real and virtual images?

The mirror equation can be used to determine whether the image formed by a curved mirror is real or virtual. If the image distance (i) is positive (+), the image is real and can be projected onto a screen. If the image distance is negative (-), the image is virtual and cannot be projected. Additionally, the magnification equation (m = -i/o) can be used to determine the size and orientation of the image.

Back