Trouble with multivariable limits of integration on Ti89

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempts to compute a triple integral using a TI-89 calculator. The function and limits of integration are given, but the calculator is not properly substituting in for the limits. The result of the inner integral is shown, and it is noted that the calculator holds the entire function constant when interpreting integrals at limits with multiple variables. The conversation ends with a request for assistance in properly interpreting integrals with multivariable limits on the TI-89.
aufbau86
Hello,

I'm currently trying to get my Ti-89 Titanium to compute the following triple integral;

f(x,y,z) = xy(1-z) where 0<x<1, 0<y<1, 0<z<1, and x+y+z<1

int(int(int(f(x,y,z),x,0,1-y-z),y,0,1-z),x,0,1)

The problem is that I can't get my Ti89 to substitute in for the limits of integration properly. For example, here is the result I get back after computing only the inner integral;

int(f(x,y,z),x,0,1-y-z) = -xy(1-z)(y+z-1)

It seems that it's holding the entire function constant whenever it has to interpret an integral at a limit which includes other variables. Basically it does this;

int(C,x,0,1-y-z) = C*int(1,x,0,1-y-z)
where C = Constant = f(x,y,z)

I've been trying to get it to work for a couple of infuriating hours, so I'm hoping one of you wizards can let me know how to get it to properly interpret integrals with multivariable limits of integration.

Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
I don't have a TI-89, but try this http://www.mathcs.citadel.edu/~chenm/231.dir/07sp.dir/lect13_calculator_1.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Trouble with multivariable limits of integration on Ti89

What is the Ti89 calculator and how does it work?

The Ti89 calculator is a graphing calculator developed by Texas Instruments. It is commonly used for advanced mathematical calculations, including solving multivariable limits of integration. The calculator uses a menu-based interface and allows for both symbolic and numerical calculations.

How do I enter a multivariable limit of integration on the Ti89?

To enter a multivariable limit of integration on the Ti89, use the "Integrate" function found in the "CALC" menu. You will need to specify the function you are integrating and the variables of integration. The calculator will then display the result in both numerical and symbolic form.

Why am I getting an error when trying to solve a multivariable limit of integration on the Ti89?

There are a few possible reasons for this error. Firstly, make sure you are using the correct syntax when entering the limit. Additionally, the calculator may have trouble solving more complex limits or those with improper notation. If the error persists, try breaking up the limit into smaller parts or using a different method of integration.

Can the Ti89 solve any type of multivariable limit of integration?

The Ti89 calculator is capable of solving many types of multivariable limits of integration, but there are some limits that may be too complex for it to handle. It is always best to double-check your answer and use alternative methods of integration if necessary.

Is there a way to customize the settings for solving multivariable limits of integration on the Ti89?

Yes, the Ti89 allows for customization of settings such as precision and display options. You can access these settings by going to the "MODE" menu. This can be helpful if you need to change the default settings for solving more complex multivariable limits of integration.

Back