Trouble with titration calculations

In summary, to solve the problem of calculating the final concentration of acid in the given scenario, one would use stoichiometry to find the total number of moles of H2SO4 in each sample, add them together and divide by the total volume. Additionally, to show that aluminum sulphate exhibits acidic properties, one could use a balanced equation and consider the sulfate ion, particularly the weak acid HSO4^{-1}. This could also involve hydrolysis, which can be further explored using resources such as the concentration calculator on chembuddy.com.
answerseeker
i'm having trouble with titration calculations.
How would you attempt this problem?

50mL of a 0.50M H2SO4 is added to 100mL of 0.25M H2SO4. Calculate the final concentration of the acid.

Also: how would you show that aluminum sulphate would show acidic properties using balanced equation? Would it have something to do with Hydrolysis?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
answerseeker said:
i'm having trouble with titration calculations.
How would you attempt this problem?

50mL of a 0.50M H2SO4 is added to 100mL of 0.25M H2SO4. Calculate the final concentration of the acid.

Also: how would you show that aluminum sulphate would show acidic properties using balanced equation? Would it have something to do with Hydrolysis?

First questions: using stoichiometru find the total number of moles of H2SO4 present in each sample. Add that together and divide by the total volume...and voila.

Think about the sulfate ion in particular (hint: [tex]HSO4^{-1}[/tex] is a weak acid)

Related to Trouble with titration calculations

1. What is titration and why is it important in the field of science?

Titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution. It involves adding a known amount of a reagent to a solution until a reaction is complete. Titration is important in science because it allows for precise and accurate measurements of chemical concentrations, which is crucial in various fields such as pharmaceuticals, environmental monitoring, and food and beverage industry.

2. How do I calculate the concentration of a substance using titration?

To calculate the concentration of a substance using titration, you need to know the volume and concentration of the titrant (the solution added during titration) and the volume of the analyte (the substance being analyzed). Simply multiply the volume of the titrant by its concentration and divide by the volume of the analyte. This will give you the concentration of the substance in the solution.

3. What are some common sources of error in titration calculations?

Some common sources of error in titration calculations include incorrect measurement of volume, air bubbles in the burette or pipette, and incomplete or inaccurate reactions. It is important to carefully measure and record all volumes and to ensure that the reaction is complete before recording data.

4. How can I improve the accuracy of my titration calculations?

To improve the accuracy of titration calculations, it is important to use precise and calibrated equipment, carefully measure and record volumes, and repeat the titration at least three times to get an average value. It is also helpful to perform a blank titration (using all reagents except the analyte) to account for any impurities or contaminants in the reagents.

5. Can I use titration to determine the concentration of any substance in a solution?

Titration can be used to determine the concentration of most substances in a solution, as long as there is a known and measurable reaction between the titrant and analyte. However, some substances may require specific titration methods or specialized equipment, so it is important to consult with a scientist or follow a standardized procedure for accurate results.

Back